UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Could I destroy the entire Roman Empire during the reign of Augustus i

Viggen

Could I destroy the entire Roman Empire during the reign of Augustus if I traveled back in time with a modern U.S. Marine infantry battalion or MEU?

I know I know not another what IF,

the interesting part was for me not so much the question, but much more than this discussion might end up as a hollywood movie...

io9.com

The idea of modern military units being swept back in time/ alternative time streams/ planets have crept out into fiction for as long as I can remember so this idea is nothing 'new' even if normally it is a single individual/platoon / company sized unit.

Pitching an entire battalion against the entire Roman Empire seems a no-brainer compared to some of the wilder what-if notions I've come across. However I do wonder if they have throught through some of the parameters which 'in reality' could well throw a spanner through their gears.

Consider just a few key questions:

Is the unit mechanized? - If it is precisely how much fuel can it bring with it or does it carry the where with all to drill and refine more.

Modern ammunition provides lots of killing power but what happens once you have fired off everything you brought with you? Looking at reports from recent conflicts modern units do seem to go through it at an inordinate rate rellying on regular resupplies to keep operational.

Some may suggest that advanced hand to hand combat skills and kevlar armour would be the answer or a mobile weapons shop to fabricate what you need but I would still worry about how much could be manufactured from scratch and being on the receiving end of a flight of weighted pila or even arrows not to forget sharp pointed weaponary.

...sure, but than history has shown that just a few men (spaniards and south america, britain vs. india) can controll large amount of people...

the most important question is of course for every army unit, the objection, destroying the whole army all well and good, and then what?

The unit would easily be able to sieze Rome, and with probably little expenditure of ammo from their 'magical' weapons. All they need do then is to persuade the Romans that their weapons are gifts from Mars, and to suggest that they are inexhaustible. This would be easy to do. Send envoys to the rest of the Empire, together with a company in each major regional capital (Keeping half the unit in Rome itself), and then - Bingo! An empire is yours.

Romans were a rational and sensible people, so, after the first stinging defeat of the legions, Augustus would have done the smart thing and surrendered. After successfully establishing a base in Rome the MEU would set up a corrupt and incompetent government who would force legislation and a socio-political system incompatible with the mind-set, culture and beliefs of the inhabitants of the Empire sparkling a series of rebellions in the provinces motivated by perceived threats to religion/identity. The MEU has to be divided and sent piecemeal to fight elusive guerrillas. The discipline brakes down and half of the marines decide to live an epicurean life ;) while the other half go to Judea to look for Jesus. They are eventually absorbed during the period of conflicts sparked by the Marines invasion, border wars, pretenders and rebellions. In the end peace is reestablished by a new emperor, a former roman general from the Rhine limes who showed talent and ruthlessness in his use of rifle legions and mortar auxila.

(chiming in from his work computer)

Do any of the Marines speak Latin? If not, communication between the invaders and the conquered would be problematic.

Also, the empire was subject to attack from people who were not completely rational. Unless the marines found a way to replenish their ammunition supply, I wonder if they would eventually fall subject to the same fate that befell the Romans during the Migration Era.

The unit would easily be able to sieze Rome, and with probably little expenditure of ammo from their 'magical' weapons.

Precisely where did this bunch of time travelling marines come through the rift in time anyway?

I can just see them trying to paddle all the way from the wilds of early c.1st century AD America or cross the desert from Iraq without the aid of modern air lifts, even Germany could be a difficult proposition - Kalkreise Forest anyone. :whistling:

I think that one Marine with a sniper rifle, a telescopic sight, and a good supply of bullets could have done it. The personal security of key individuals was based, I'm sure on close up attack. If all Rome's top men kept mysteriously dying with nothing but a spot of blood in the middle of the forehead to indicate the cause . . . . . I know you don't look like that if you're shot in the head, but I thought we were refering to Holywood.