UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Some Help Needed!

Anticleia

I've got an essay to do on Pompeii... I've got two questions to choose between:

What can the decoration and layout of the Pompeian/Ostian house tell us about Roman social life?

or

How far was the home an extension of the social identity of its owner? Can this idea be applied across different social classes?

So I've got two books that I'm reading and gathering research from - Wallace Hadrill "House and Society in Pompeii" and Hale "The Roman house and social identity" - and I've got some good ideas etc etc, but I was wondering if anyone here knows anyhting about this subject and could give em some interesting facts or point me in any relevent directions?

:)

For a info on decorations you would definintly look at the mosaics which will also tell you of family life. Some famous ones to look at would be

Cocks fighting in front of a mensa- taken from home in Pompeii currently at the Museo Archeologico Nazionale in Naples

Trojan Horse fresco from House of Menander- from Pompeii currently in same museum above

and the most infamous one from Pompeii: Paquis Proculus and wife which was a wall painting and is in the same museum as above.

To see these you might try to find a roman art book, which will definintly have these amoung them. Anyone else know a specific book to try.

Uh, well, heh ... when I read _Roman Sex_ the book took its pictographical survey mostly from the houses of pompei. All those colorful frescoes and phallus symbols...

I don't know, it's a book you might want to look into, especially in answering the first question.