UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Italy Unveils Plan to Preserve Pompeii

Kosmo

...the question is if the money will arrive at the destination its suppose to go, or if some mafia type organisation will end up with all the cash. Southern Italy is famous for swallowing EU funds and give it to the wrong people...

I don't see why they can't withhold part of the money from contractors until they show measurable results... with deductions for being late. Even if crooks get involved, you might get honest work out of them that way. I do see a loophole by declaring bankruptcy after the initial payment. I just finished reading the disturbing "King Larry: The Life and Ruins of a Billionaire Genius" (Steve Jobs' more evil twin) where he repeatedly escapes being crushed by bully competitors by declaring (fake?) bankruptcy http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/book-review-king-larry-by-james-d-scurlock-01122012.html

an architect whose organization monitors Pompeii said he was concerned that it did not sufficiently guarantee the day-to-day maintenance of the site.