UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Students find rare Roman temple on practice dig

An interesting turn on practice archaeology from German online magazine The Local which just goes to prove that just about everywhere which is currently habitable is liable to have had someone either occupying it or at least passing through at some point in its history:

Archaeology students got a taste of the real thing during a digging lesson, when they stumbled upon what was this week confirmed to be a Roman temple

Mind you I do wonder in this instance if the 800BC may be a misprint for 80BC

Either date has nothing to do with Romans and their temple. The article states no construction date, but it can't be earlier then 51 BC and is probably much later.

Mind you I do wonder in this instance if the 800BC may be a misprint for 80BC

Either date has nothing to do with Romans and their temple. The article states no construction date, but it can't be earlier then 51 BC and is probably much later.

Agreed unfortunately I wrote in haste what I meant to indicate was that the only stated date of 800 BC seemed highly unlikely to fit with the Roman's presence in the area.

Even if they meant AD 800 that seems equally improbable for a Roman temple finally going out of usein the area.