UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Duecedes Conflict/Trap -- Help!

otcviper

I recently heard a speech which referenced an ancient Roman conflict called the Duecedes conflict. I'm sure that is not the correct spelling. It's pronounced "Due-sid-ah-dees", or something along those lines.

I've googled the heck out of the web with many different variations and cannot find anything about it.

It was also referred to as the Duecedes Trap. The subject was when a rising power challenges a ruling power.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Now you've piqued my interest because I can'rt anything either. The refernce is obviously obscure or perhaps, dare I say it, a 'non-standard' nomemclature. It's possible we know the conflict by another name but I can't see any connection.

I agree with Caldrail that without some more information it is unlikely we can identify what conflict/ trap you are referring to.

Given the problems with the spelling we have already encountered when 'googling' for 'Duecedes' it may help if you can give some more information. A longer reference to work with including some context such as where you heard about the conflict and/or what the topic under discussion was at the time may provide us with something we can relate to a specific conflict or at least period in Roman history.

This may be going out on a limb but after some searching I have discovered that 'caducidade' can be translated in Portugese as either 'maturity' or possibly 'due date' presumably this last referring to when a policy expires.

In this context I suppose it is possible that a foreign speaker may have used the the first examples of the word translation as 'maturity' when referring to the period when Rome (or any other emerging power reaches its full maturity) and starts to expand. By doing so it will come into conflict with established power groupings around it.

In Rome's case this would probably have been when it started to butt up against the Etruscans and other established city-states around it in the 5th/6th centuries BC.

"In Rome's case this would probably have been when it started to butt up against the Etruscans and other established city-states around it in the 5th/6th centuries BC."

I'd reckon that Rome was an annoyance to the Etruscans from the get-go. After all, they plonked their town across the via Salaria at the head of navigation of the Tiber. So it was more Latins butting up against the Etruscans in the seventh century.

with the Duecedes conflict, my guess would be this was a misheard reference to the 'Thucydides conflict' (not du-sid-a-dees but Thu-cid-a-dees)- ie the Peloppenesian war. Duecedes is neither a Latin nor a Greek name, nor, so far as I can determine, that of any historian since.

Edited by Maty

Good call Maty that does sound much more likely than my suggestion. In which case we are into the territory of Thucydides History of the Peloponnesian War and the conflicts between the Greek States and the Persian Empire.

Greece v. Persia sounds right to me. We even have a 'Thucydides trap'. Apparently the term was used by one Graham Allison of Harvard University to describe when a superpower has to deal with 'the fast rise of a rich, brash competitor'.

Once we have the spelling right, Google becomes our friend ;)