UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Cologne's primary fortress?

gilius

In AD 50, Cologne was promoted to status of Colony and Provincial Capital.

According to livus.org, "And to protect the bridge across the Rhine, Divitia was founded, a small limes castle on the east bank."

http://www.livius.or...ogne/deutz.html

And:

"Although the city was now no longer a military base, the Roman fleet maintained a naval base, about four kilometers south of Cologne, situated on a hill of about 18 meters high. The site, which is comparatively large (about 7 ha), was founded at the time of Cologne's promotion to the status of colonia and is now called the Alteburg, "the ancient castle"."

http://www.livius.or...e/alteburg.html

So what was the original fortress of Cologne if not Alteburg?? Did the city itself evolve from Fortress into Town? Any evidence for this? Anyone have any weblinks they could kindly provide with information/plans of Cologne's primary fortress?

Edited by gilius

This is a little off topic, but here's a quiz question for you. Cologne is one of three cities whose modern name has retained the COL of COLONIA. What are the other two? I'll give the answers (if no-one gets it) some time in the indeterminate future, depending on wifi availability.

This is a little off topic, but here's a quiz question for you. Cologne is one of three cities whose modern name has retained the COL of COLONIA. What are the other two? I'll give the answers (if no-one gets it) some time in the indeterminate future, depending on wifi availability.

Lincoln and Colchester are perchance the ones you were thinking of? There may be more but I will need to do some research to check.

You are exactly on the nose there, Melvadius. I'm pretty certain that's the entire 3 (obviously, most people forget Lincoln). If there are more, I need to know about it pronto (that's your homework!)

Well done. Whilst there is no material prize available, you've won the respect and admiration of your peers, which is much, much more valuable

No more from my available sources - I was probably mixing up 'Bol' with 'Col' and thinking of Colonia Baelo Claudia - Bolonia