UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Ancient Society

Demson

In my essay, I will regard the Celtic and Roman society according to the services they maintained for the individual. I have distiguished 5 needs that the services of ancient society provided for. These needs are:

- Nutrition.

- Shelter from the elements.

- Security.

- Ease of mind through state religion.

- Commerce.

Nutrition is an obvious need which society provides for.

Shelter from the elements is more sketchy. This includes housing and healthcare. Shelter from the elements is everything that relates to protection from influences from nature.

Security from any kind of human violance (destruction of your provisions) is a service. Note: Defense wars are part of this service. Offensive wars are part of the other services, as they serve to provide for the other needs.

Religion (not to be confused with spirituality) has always been an affair of society. It was a tool to ease the mind. This was to ensure the other services were not neglected.

After the basic needs of nutrition, shelter and security were well-provided for, commerce as a service to build up wealth came into play. Commerce has several purposes. I will regard it for it's oppertunity to build up a reserve of provision (for the other services).

____

I am not content with my understanding of the needs society provided for. I am especially skeptical about my understanding of commerce*.

Understanding this is pretty important for the first two chapters in my essay; namely day-to-day life (how the individual contributed to society) and government (how the individual managed the services ).

Therefor, I would like your philosophical input on this. It I realise it does not relate to the subject of history, but I will need to understand the purpose of wealth** better in order to understand what commerce is about. And the best way to come to understanding is debate. :thumbsup:

So, here is my point of arguement:

Wealth is a waste of resources better spend on the development of technology***.

* Commerce: after the basic needs are provided for, commerce is the gathering and exchanging of wealth.

** Wealth: an abundance of material possessions and resources.

*** Technology serves to make the provision of the other needs more efficient and effective.

P.S. Critism on any of the other services I distuingished is also welcome.