UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

More finds related to the Staffordshire Hoard

The BBc is reporting the discovery of more fragments whcih appear related to the major Anglo-Saxon Staffordshire Hoard

Staffordshire Hoard: Gold fragments found in Hammerwich

About 90 more pieces of gold and silver believed to belong to the Staffordshire Hoard have been found.

The discovery was made by archaeologists in the same Staffordshire field at Hammerwich where 3,500 pieces were found in 2009.

Some of the new pieces are fragments that fit with parts of the original hoard of Anglo-Saxon gold and silver.

They include a possible helmet cheek piece, a cross shaped mount and an eagle shaped mount.

..continued

A slightly different version of the report is here for the Stoke & Stafford area.

And a video report here

• 3 weeks later...

The BBC has now reported that nearly all of the new items found have been declared as 'treasure' (81 out of 91) since they are at least 300 years old and contain at least 10% precuious metal.

The remaining 10 pieces are deemed "wastage"...but may still be of interest.

The interesting aspect is that several of the new pieces fit pieces found in the original hoard so obviously are part of the original deposit and more work may reveal other matches extending our knowledge of how the orignial objects looked and were used.

• 2 weeks later...

I find it incredible that such an amazing treasure hoard could be discovered in such an unremarkable field. It makes you think what else lies beneath the grass of the average field or garden in Britain.

Well if you count my garden as 'average' when I dug a test pit in it a few years back there was a smattering of pottery sherds dating back to the 13/14th century....and half a chicken skeleton (I seem to remember the left half).

I find it incredible that such an amazing treasure hoard could be discovered in such an unremarkable field. It makes you think what else lies beneath the grass of the average field or garden in Britain.

Well if you count my garden as 'average' when I dug a test pit in it a few years back there was a smattering of pottery sherds dating back to the 13/14th century....and half a chicken skeleton (I seem to remember the left half).

Last year I managed to find some items in a local field not far from my house, including bits of a 17th century plate, late medieval pottery and even a prehistoric spindle whorl. It's amazing what lies beneath our feet in the most ordinary places.