UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Question on the Roman Wedge Formation

Yesterday I asked this question on the Phalanx.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AtSDK5MpJ.lq1EZN6PJxqePty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20121224113629AA9NqSB

I now stand corrected and learned it was the Roman Wedge formation I was referring to.

So is such an offensive formation being triangular and shaped like an arrow really add on to the impact?To repeat part of my question:

"Take a stick. If you tried to hit someone in a evenly shaped edge, you'll hurt the person but you won't necessarily kill him. Now if you take time to sharpen the edge to the point the tip starts looking like an arrow, when you hit someone with it, not only will you hurt the person but you'll pierce the stick through his inner body parts and kill him for the process. Thats why the Phalanx(CORRECTION:Wedge Formation) is shaped like an arrow.When it impacts the enemy force, it will do a piercing style blow as though its like an arrow piercing and assuming all other things equal, it will pierce through an enemy in a shield formation that is merely in a straight row".

There's some confusion about this. A formed wedge is defensive and designed to deflect incoming cavalry (although seriously I haven't seen any authoritative confirmation the Romans did that. The Romans also used a style of attack called 'pigs snout' or something similar, in which two advancing columns converge toward the same enemy frontage, using mass of numbers to force a breach in their line. Further info is available...

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/Roman-Battle-Tactics-109BC%E2%80%93AD313_9781846031847

PS - Cuneus, or Pig's Head, is the name I was thinking of. The Roman's also employed an advance with flanks refused, which means the legion moved with cohorts in an arrowhead formation to achieve the same effect.

Edited by caldrail