UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

"Tomb of the Gladiator"

Ludovicus

The tomb of Marcus Nonius Marcrinus was discovered about two years ago along the Tiber. The find was spectacular owing to the high rank of this individual, a confidant of Marcus Aurelius. Unfortuately, the Italian government lacks the funds to adequately excavate and secure the site for the enjoyment of future generations. If no funds are forthcoming, the most interesting site in Rome in decades will have to be reburied. I think that here we've all been aware of the loss of precious sites in Pompeii for lack of proper upkeep, e. g. the House of the Gladiators. The Uffizzi lost some of its ceiling frescoes just last week.

I'm looking for statistics and budget figures that reveal the lack of funding for the maintenance and development of Italy's cultural and archaeological sites. Perhaps, it not just a lack of funding, but the way cultural sites are viewed in general by the Italian government. No doubt, the current austerity measures directed at the economic crisis have played a role, as well.

See http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/ashes-to-ashes-the-latter-day-ruin-of-pompeii/ for inefficient spending, as well as the claim from another source the sites tolerate 70% absentee rate for gov't staff. Europe is using austerity instead of stimulus to solve fiscal problems. Normally you could hope that stimulus builds tax money thru increased economic activity, but i guess they consider the entitlement rot too intractable unless you starve the economic beast. So unless there is some sugar daddy like a billionaire or berlesconi...

Thanks so much!