UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Phoenix of Colophon

Onasander

Phoenix of Colophon

http://books.google.com/books?id=Vx2gJyWxrtMC&pg=PA218&lpg=PA218&ots=qj70Hdpsj5&focus=viewport&dq=Phoenix+of+Colophon&output=html_text

So..... umm.....

So, how do I say this.....

Was ancient Rome one giant gay musical like the recent movie Les Miserables, where everyone is singing?

I was checking him out due to his supposed links to Cynicism, and this is the first I have come across such a mention as a 'Traditional Begging Song'.

Was there singing of Nessun Dorma? Did the Cynics invent the Opera?

Edited by Onasander

• 3 weeks later...

I just read this in the fragments of hierocles:

For that which is advantageous to the country is common to each of the parts of it; since the whole without the parts is nothing. [1]

And vice versa, that which is advantageous to the citizen extends also to the city, if it is assumed as beneficial to the citizen. For that which is useful to a dancer, so far as he is a dancer, will also be advantageous to the whole choir. Depositing, therefore, all this reasoning in the discursive power of the soul, we shall receive much light from it in particulars, so that we (p82) shall never omit to perform what is due from us to our country.

Yep, one big gay musical. They had dancers attached to the choirs even.