UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Papyrus Referring to Jesus’ Wife Is More Likely Ancient Than Fake, S

A fragment of papyrus, known as the “Gospel of Jesus’s Wife,” has been analyzed by professors at Columbia University, Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, who reported that it resembled other ancient papyri. Skepticism about the tiny scrap of papyrus has been fierce because it contained a phrase never before seen in any piece of Scripture: “Jesus said to them, ‘My wife...’ ” Too convenient for some, it also contained the words “she will be able to be my disciple,” a clause that inflamed the debate in some churches over whether women should be allowed to be priests. The test results do not prove that Jesus had a wife or disciples who were women, only that the fragment is more likely a snippet from an ancient manuscript than a fake, the scholars agree...

...more at the NY Times

Oh dear, another ancient fragment that can be used politically in the modern day, despite whether it's real or 'fake'.  Having read a little about the voluminous ancient output that was excised from the bible, it wouldn't surprise me if this were a real snippet from an excised text.