UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Bryaxis Hecatee

Planning a trip to southern Spain

Hi everyone ! 

As I'll be giving a talk at a Madrid conference next october I decided I'd be having some side vacation in southern Spain. I have 3 or 4 days that I can spend there, and I intend to make the most of it, helped by the fact my plane would leave Sevilla at around 8PM. 

So, my call to you all : do you have any roman themed recommendations in that specific area ? 

• Like 1

I visited Sevilla a few years ago. It's a wonderful little town but better known for its amazing Moorish architecture. There is, however, a town not far from it (I think about 10 km away) called Italica that may be worth a trip. It was founded in 206 BC(E) and has Roman ruins you can visit including an amphitheater, mosaics, etc. I unfortunately did not get to see it when I was in Spain but heard it was interesting...

thanks for the suggestion, I'd not thought about Italica (actually I misplaced it on the map, putting it rather in Murcia area) despite the fact it's Trajanus and Hadrianus' birth place !

My pleasure! If you do make it to Italica, please don't forget to share your photos with us!  :)

As always :) Right now I'm looking at Merida (Emerita Augusta), Grenada, Cordoba and Sevilla :

Seville archeological museum Seville Palace of the Countess of Lebrija Seville Metropol Parasol antiquarium Seville Italica Cordoue Archaeological site of Cercadilla Cordoue Great Mosque of Córdoba Cordoue Theatre Cordoue Roman Temple Cordoue Mausoleum Cordoue Roman Bridge Cordoue Colonial Forum Cordoue Forum Adiectum Cordoue amphitheater Cordoue Roman walls Cordoue Medina Azahara Grenade Alhambra

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerita_Augusta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%B3rdoba,_Andalusia#Main_sights

• Like 1