UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The oldest ever Roman military fortification has been discovered

Viggen

The military camp found consists of one large fort with two minor ones to either side. It is believed to have served as the foundation for the first settlement of Tergeste – which Julius Caesar colonised in 177BC.Using Light Detection and Ranging, Ground Penetrating Radar and archaeological surveys, scientists from the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics found the fort on Italy's north-east border with Slovenia. Findings are published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

via IB Times

No.

No no no.

Julius Caesar did not colonize it in 177BC, that's when it joined the republic.

Secondly, it may be a old fort in Italy (barely in Italy as the modern country, but wouldn't say its in the peninsula) but I think other sites have an older right to being called oldest fortification by the Romans. They need to clarify what they are stating here. Do they mean an ENTIRE fort, as it a purely military base unmodified in later generations? Then maybe. But I remember talking about older fortifications in Italy on this site.

Oh, he might have been - are we talking about Sextus Julius Caesar f. L. Julius Caesar cos. 157?

I think the Julii Caesares go back to around 300 BC and the Julians all the way back to 1200 BC.

I can't read French, but the name might be same as what is listed in this French book as establishing the colony:

https://books.google.com/books?id=RR4OAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA232&lpg=PA232&dq=Sextus+Julius+Caesar+Tergeste&source=bl&ots=dxcc8F8KbQ&sig=gSbQ4-PjEDYkNg8B7xp2jBwCY54&hl=en&sa=X&ei=f7wMVYvtK5XqoATD7IDwCA&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAw

All I did was Google:

Sextus Julius Caesar Tergeste

Only three links even suggested the possibility, but two merely lead to books on Julius Caesar, just means the word pops up somewhere in the text.

I'll obviously bow out if this French texts says it, as I have really no reason to dismiss a 19th century French historian on this, just I can't find English evidence.