UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GhostOfClayton

Sestri Levante

For reasons I won’t go into, Hiking-Hols-R-Us will be sending me to a place called Sestri Levante (just south of Genoa, Italy), later this year, and it’s quite possible I just might get some free time.  Does anyone know of any Roman stuff round there that’s worth seeing?  Or know of somewhere i can look to find out?

Edited by GhostOfClayton

OK.  I'm going to nudge this one back to the top of the list with another question.  How do I search for Roman remains in Italy?  Websites?  Literature?  Maps?

Ask the local tourist information?  Or get hold of a place-name book, if you can.  Then link ancient places to modern names.  I went a few years ago with the other half. She landed me in a place called Pozzuoli.  I'd never heard of it.  I got hold of a local English guide and suddenly the place came alive.  I was in Puteoli, down the road was Cumae, we were near to Pompeii (we flew past Vesuvius on the way in to Naples airport!)  All of a sudden the area came alive.  The best holiday I've ever had, largely because I didn't know what to expect.