UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman curse tablet written after a 4th century theft

Viggen

...fascinating find! :)

Found by Badnam Creek in Southampton in 1982, this curse tablet from the Roman-Greco world was created in about 350 or 400 AD by Muconius, a man angry at the mystery thief who stole his gold and silver coins. Willing divine retribution to visit his assailant, Muconius might have paid a scribe or prepared the scornful curse himself, etched upon lead, a naturally plentiful material with a heavy, cold nature thought to possess a lifelessness which could enhance the power of the sentiments.

The text reads: “Lord Neptune, I give you the man who has stolen the solidus and six argentioli of Muconius. “So I give the names who took them away, whether male or female, whether boy or girl. So I give you Niskus, and to Neptune, the life, health, blood, of him who has been privy to that taking away.

“The mind which stole this and has been privy to it, may you take it away. The thief who stole this, may you consume his blood and take it away, Lord Neptune.”

via Culture24

I remember the scene in ROME when Servilia wrote Caesar's name on a curse tablet.  The commentary said her incantation was based on a real curse tablet uncovered in Italy.