UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Fall Of An Empire

caldrail

By coincidence I happened to spot a Roman style DVD cover while browsing my local DVD store (Okay, I was buying the last Hobbit film...I admit it). Fall of an Empire atracted my attention even further when I read the blkurb on the back, as it seemed to have nothing to do with gladiators, Jesus, or Commodus. Essentially the evil Maxientus kidnaps a girl and Constantine rides to the rescue. All very dramatic stuff but possibly naff... Oh well. Won't know unless I watch it....

In fact the film is nothing like the description. The focus is not on ancient derring do but a study of the life of Katherine of Alexandria, based on a woman who may or may not have been real, a woman whose stance against pagan imposition led her to a very stressful life. The film has some serious actors in it. Joss Ackland, Edward Fox, and Peter O'Toole among them. The sound quality is excellent and the music very moody. Imagery is a mix of typical Hollywood Rome, obervant late empire fashion, and some Conan the Barbarian. The acting, despite the pople involved, is a bit naff though. The film is very slow, serious in intent, and I confess I fell asleep halfway though it. Sorry Katherine. I promise I'll try again.