UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Check out this cool little artifact!

I have collected Indian artifacts for decades, because I enjoy finding them and because it's a cheap, legal hobby in my area.

But occasionally I do like to pick up Old World artifacts if I have the chance.  I added this piece to my collection this summer.

It's a Roman brooch in the shape of a legionary - or perhaps a gladiator - that was excavated in Jordan.  I bought it from a retired

archeologist at a relic show I attended in June.

15%20Jun%2015%20%20Temple%20Pics%20012_z

15%20Jun%2015%20%20Temple%20Pics%20013_z

Those two cultures certainly did collide in the Middle East.  All I know for sure is that it came from a large Roman site in Jordan, many years ago.

• 6 months later...

This is very nice!  I love brooches and if I had the time and a bit more money, I would collect them as well. I recently purchased some Roman and Merovingian replica brooches for my book launch.  Also this week, I saw some ancient Scandinavian brooches on another forum as well.  Please share if you have any more.  The one posted seems unique as well.  As a side note: I'm also looking for an artifact of value for my characters in my third unwritten book as yet, to carry to safety either to Egypt or Palaestina.  My problem is that it has to be found on a Germanic battlefield or in Germania in the 5th century (it doesn't have to be from the 5th century, though).  I'm going to post this request somewhere on the forum, but I'm not sure where the best place would be.  Any suggestions and/or opinions are welcome. Any ideas?

Cynthia 

Late imperial activity in Germania was often quite scurrilous (the legions were as bad as German raiders) and bear in mind that at that time soldiering was not a profession partuilcularly liked, valued, or supported. Troops were often unpaid and had to make do with part time civilian jobs (hence the banditry). Political coherence was beginning to fragment and settlements were often making their own deals and contracts for security rather than depend on badly led, poorly paid, reluctant imperial legions. Worse, the German tribes were co-operating more now that Roman foreign policy of divide and rule was failing and just as aggressive as they had always been.

Your possibilities are quite open. Troops pay chests, booty, tribal treasures. If your characters are taking something to Egypt however, it does make sense that the object originated from there - a useful plot device?

Thanks, Caldrail.  It does make sense that if they are carrying an object back to somewhere it perhaps was from there. Hmmm.  I will also have to plot how it got to Germania. What does 'Troops pay chests' mean a chest that held their wages? I'm kind of thinking of something not as grand as the Ark of the Covenant, or something already done.  Maybe a pharaoh's death mask or scepter.  ??? I will have to browse around. I kind of wanted to go to Palaestina, but that might be more difficult.  Do you know where the best place perhaps to pose this question for suggestions would be?  Thanks as always!