UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

They did it!

The magnificent Roman arch at Palmyra is now rubble, courtesy of ISIS.

There are no words for how much this offends me.  Twenty centuries of history destroyed

by evil barbarians for no good reason whatsoever.

May true justice find them all!

They want you to be offended along with everyone else. it's a gesture of rejection of western values and rather like a diluted version of Pol Pots attempt at creating a brave new world, is one of a series of actions aimed at wiping off the old world order and establioshing the dominance of this islamic creed.

I do agree, the act was little short of criminal, but then ISIS isn't going to stop doing things like this. The thugs they use as leaders among them aren't interested in cultural values except their own, and will continue to employ force to swagger around feeling powerful. It's a very insidious creed as well. On one occaision last year one moslem youth harangued me in a supermarket carpark to the effect that he, Abdullah, will do this or that and rivers of blood etc etc. That was technically a punishable offence (Threatening behaviour at the very least) but usually this sort of polemic has no tabgible threat. The young man is merely sounding off to boost his ego and social status as young men do, the real risk being that he connects with those minorities who are more manipulative or equipped.

The reality of archeological remains is that at some point they will vanish forever. Now I agree that deliberate vandalism is not acceptable, but that's the trouble with zealotry - it does not stop to consider alternative values and your reaction is in fact merely going to encourage them, because they act like bullies. Once they realise this vandalism hurts you, they do it all the more. But I agree they shouldn't do it and need to be stop. So if a bomb or two drops on them, I won't shed any tears for their ignorant creed.