UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Scotland Unconquered

No reason to discount the mercenary theory ,I feel , coastal waterborne traffic between Hibernia and what was later Strathclyde is well attested and indeed a mercenary career amongst the Scotti would have been a most honourable calling. The Novantae were the "strathclyde" raiders into Flavian Brittania ,well poised for waterborne contact with Hibernia..Venuntius decamped to Hibernia in defeat and given the federal fluidity of the Brigantes I half suspect an "overseas" branch. or at least perhaps a blood contact. The "trading settlement" is at least said to be of the "usual" playing card outline.

I hope to have more when the "Roman Navy in Britain " is completed.

plus bear in mind the sine qua non of the British conquest-you (Rome) could always find some dissafected tribal group with an axe to grind against a neighbour as a strategic ally , the tribes never had a coherent "British " view-the Romans gave them that identity .

Edited by Pertinax

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The general anti-Romanist attitude and tactics of the Caledonian tribes at this point were very reminiscent of the Celtiberians several hundred years ago. Anyone who's studied the bloody and lengthy nature of that conquest might quail at attempting to pacify the wild north. Especially, as has been mentioned, when there's no much to loot or to grow in Scotland. At least Iberia had a strategic location (this was before and during the Punic Wars), great farmland (a massive number of olives are still grown there), and valuable resources to make it worth the cost and effort. Mix that with the general vastness of Rome, and it would be essentially folly to waste Roman resources and lives.

The general anti-Romanist attitude and tactics of the Caledonian tribes at this point were very reminiscent of the At least Iberia had a strategic location (this was before and during the Punic Wars), great farmland (a massive number of olives are still grown there), and valuable resources to make it worth the cost and effort.

Wine was also a quite popular export then and now.

The general anti-Romanist attitude and tactics of the Caledonian tribes at this point were very reminiscent of the At least Iberia had a strategic location (this was before and during the Punic Wars), great farmland (a massive number of olives are still grown there), and valuable resources to make it worth the cost and effort.

Wine was also a quite popular export then and now.

And made it as far North as Aberdeen ( as is now) amongst the Taexalli ( as then were).

The climate was warmer then, and despite a mini ice age of four years duration during the late 6th century the climate remained balmy into the early medieval period before reaching a low in the 18th century.

(obviously the romans used gas-guzzling V8 donkeys :roll:)

Woodland was more prevalent then - I wouldn't discount that as a resource. Caledonian bears were very popular for the arena too, and furs from many species would have been a possible export.

Ive submitted my review of "Roman Britain and the Roman Navy" to Viggen, I think this particular work has some very relevant references to the various Caledonian campaigns: as regards logistics, tactics and tribal activities . Its quite a specilaised work but I urge members to take a look as it gives a better context to the pattern of Roman tactical and strategic movement and construction.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...2620765-5794332

Edited by Viggen