UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Battle of the Eclipse

Monk

In ancient records we often find myths, legends and exaggerations, but some events we can prove with astronomy programmes, a quote and link below:-

"The Battle of the Eclipse[1] or Battle of Halys[2] was fought between the Medes and the Lydians in the early 6th century BC. The result was a draw which led to both parties negotiating a peace treaty and ending a six-year war. According to Herodotus, the appearance of a solar eclipse at the time of battle was interpreted as an omen, and interrupted the battle.

Herodotus writes that in the sixth year of the war, the Lydians under King Alyattes and the Medes under Cyaxares were engaged in an indecisive battle when suddenly day turned into night, leading to both parties halting the fighting and negotiating a peace agreement. Herodotus also mentions that the loss of daylight had been predicted by Thales of Miletus. He does not, however, mention the location of the battle.."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Eclipse

This happened on 28th May 0585 BC by using a Proleptic Julian Calendar, after researching the location, i can show this on my archaeoastronomy programme , just before eclipse below:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proleptic_Julian_calendar

Picture 34 40% (2).png

Edited by Monk
spelling

Good luck on proving this. I say that because there are scholars who've tried to fix the time and date and the possible eclipse parameters don't easily fit, not to mention the data available to Thales might well not have been enough.