UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Epic WWII battle in India

caesar novus

I wasn't aware of "Battles of Imphal and Kohima", recently named one of the greatest British victories ever, maybe a bigger turning point  than Waterloo or Normandy. I will let interested folks google their preferred video or text media for more info, but here's what made it interesting to me. Apparently it was a calculated withdrawal, baiting Japanese (and some Indians) beyond Burmese supply lines for the tempting prize of India (none too pleased with Brit rule).

In very grueling combat the large Japanese force was unable to capture British supplies, and the few that weren't killed or starved began the long walk home. The British as depicted below used interesting equipment and had less trouble supplying their beleaguered multinational troops with air supplies than did Mr. Goering for Stalingrad. I am glad that WW2 British campaign in SE Asia showcased some of their famous ingenuity, in contrast with botched muddles such as their premature surrender of Singapore.

73328_half.jpg

‘When You Go Home, Tell Them of Us and Say,
For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today.’
'Kohima Epitaph', John Maxwell Edmonds, 1944