UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Live webcams of Roman ruins?

caesar novus

Webcams have a special appeal to me, but the ones from Italy labeled live seem overwhelmingly old and canned. You can tell because youtube posts total runtime. Below is a rare live one that picks up only scraps of ruins, and it is has certain restrictions due to being labeled child-oriented. Maybe others can post genuine ruin live cams where you can see the rhythms of seasons, etc.

P.S. I am starting a playlist of sort of chill livecams which show slices of life, mostly in nice places I have visited. About a quarter of the time they have something interesting or quirky going on. You can advance thru the list, but without any ruins so far:

Edited by caesar novus
  • Like 1

I will make a few comments on what is on view. The Rome camera has frozen panning and just now switched to infrared. Anyway, when you get the view of big white king monument on upper left, look at the brick ruins under the trees (currently lit with single spotlight). This is a friggen 5 story ancient Roman apartment building! Well, the top story is gone and bottom is underground, but I will post a photo of insula dell'Ara Coeli:

640px-Insula_Ara_Coeli_-_Rome_(IT62)_-_2

To the right under the bell tower is Capitoline museum (world's first) with full Roman sculptural content:

640px-Musei_Capitolini_20150812.jpg

And more hidden stuff back when panning worked. BTW I tweaked my webcam playlist so it doesn't get jammed by African camera downtime so easily.

Holy cow, seeing Trajan's column on that livecam (when panning was working) led me to stumble on the news that they recently opened the interior of the base for visits. You can't climb the spiral staircase, but can look up and just wonder about the audacity of constructing it's 19 drums of marble hollowed with functional stairs:

111520-30-History-Rome.jpg