UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Way of the Wind

Novosedoff

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_of_the_Wind

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10937004/

The Way of the Wind[2] is an upcoming epic biblical drama film written and directed by Terrence Malick and produced by Josh Jeter. Starring Géza Röhrig as Jesus, the film retells his story. Alongside Rohrig, Mark Rylance stars as Satan, Matthias Schoenaerts as Saint Peter while Ben Kingsley, Joseph Fiennes, Tawfeek Barhom, Douglas Booth, and Aidan Turner star in supporting roles.

Looks like a good cast and an interesting biblical interpretation. Has anybody watched it yet? 

2 hours ago, caldrail said:

No, and I'm not getting out of bed for that one.

Sounds like a moan of intolerance to me 🙂 I know of your atheistic attitudes, caldrail, which I happen to share too.

Nonetheless my prediction is that within next 10-20 years we'll see a number of interesting adaptations of the ancient stories that've been circulating lately in the public domain, incl. bookstore shelves. Knowledge sharing empowered by the Internet and technology has made it possible for the ideas to spread quickly, so that even ignorant folks like me with no religious education whatsoever could easily pick up the story and follow the research advancements. 

It's not atheism, but whilst I have a variant spiritualism, I am first and foremost a history enthusiast. My research on the Principate includes the era of Jesus and quite frankly it's looking increasingly like a story concocted to sell religion. Was Jesus based on a real person? Possibly, there was a string of charismatic preachers that got executed for unsettling authority with their crowd pulling success, but the more I look at Jesus historically, the less I see. The conclusion has to be he was never real, and indeed, it transpires the earliest known Christian writing (among the Epistles of Paul) contains no real world context for Jesus at all.

Does that devalue the film? Not as such, it's just a depiction of a myth, but I don't like the underlying concept that it's supposed to be something I should believe in and the idea the film should be somehow be more important for that depiction is not something I agree with.

6 hours ago, caldrail said:

Does that devalue the film? Not as such, it's just a depiction of a myth, but I don't like the underlying concept that it's supposed to be something I should believe in and the idea the film should be somehow be more important for that depiction is not something I agree with.

Well, you are touching too complex question:  what is real? 

Do the images of Putin or King Charles projected by the media reflect their true personalities? The power of propaganda is capable of turning a mature paedophile into a benevolent highly-respectable MP much admired by everyone. So could be the case of St. Pudens too. 

These days even some renowned physicists, such as American Prof. Leonard Susskind, speak of the holographic principle that guides our universe, while Buddhists take it even further when they say that there is no "I", no Ego at all (so-called "anatman").

So back to Jesus, clearly his image and the whole story around him has been professionally concocted. But does this mean we should refrain from studying the history or stop watching movies about him? The movie series "Altered carbon" is anything but real too, nonetheless it does convey some ideas, which some folks may find interesting. So are the adoptations of the biblical story, ranging from the Da Vinci Code to the Body by Jonas McCord (2001). That's what culture is all about, ain't it? 🙂 Raising new questions, offering new interpretations, sharing new thoughts based on new findings (Dead Sea Scrolls, new excavations in Jerusalem etc) ...

Actually, a few years ago I wrote by myself a big post about Christianity. The post was inspired by a number of books that I'd read (esp. 3 books by Rodney Stark that influenced me a lot). The post is in Russian, but just in case someone can read it (or alternatively you can right-click in your browser and try to translate the page into your preferred language automatically): https://topos.ru/article/ontologicheskie-progulki/o-hristianstve-na-osnove-knig-sociologa-i-istorika-religii-rodni

Some folks say that my post is clearly atheistic, but frankly when I was preparing it I was just trying to wrap up my own very mixed thoughts into some more consistent shape that could make it easier for myself to understand and to summarize everything that I'd read. The post has collected over 100 likes as I see now, which makes me believe that I ain't quite lost as a writer (professionally I have nothing to do with creative writing, and have to deal more with digits than people)

Edited by Novosedoff