UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Hbo Rome and... BBC too

Virgil61

Does anyone know whether a date has been fixed for "Rome" to come out on dvd - either in the US or UK? Do we have to wait until re-runs on cable etc have completed, or will it be imminent, to latch on to the success of the series. I assume if there are to be lots of "extras" - deleted scenes, behind the scenes stuff, commentaries etc, that might add to the timescale. Anyone heard anything?

Phil

Check out this thread i opened...

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2916

cheers

viggen

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know whether a date has been fixed for "Rome" to come out on dvd - either in the US or UK? Do we have to wait until re-runs on cable etc have completed, or will it be imminent, to latch on to the success of the series. I assume if there are to be lots of "extras" - deleted scenes, behind the scenes stuff, commentaries etc, that might add to the timescale. Anyone heard anything?

Phil

Check out this thread i opened...

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2916

cheers

viggen

Thanks, Viggen. I'll take your advice.

Phil

While drawing up a stemmata for the kinsmen of Cato, another connection between Servilia and the liberators emerged: she was not only the mother of Brutus but the mother-in-law of Cassius!

Looking at the stemmata, it becomes quite clear just how very well-connected Servilia was: grand-daughter to two consuls, half-sister of Cato, sister-in-law to Lucullus, mother of Brutus, wife to a consul, mother-in-law to two consuls, and so on. It's no wonder the liberators met at her house.

The chart is excellent , I didnt realise how very closely related the "prime movers " were.

Oh, I hate those things, I have never been able to comprehend that type of thing clearly. You mind explaining the color coding and positioning, Cate?

Sure. Once you decipher the coding of the relations, you'll find that stemmata can be quite valuable (and thanks Pertinax!)

First, the link for the New and Improved "Kinsmen of Cato".

Colors represent different families--Yellow for the Servilii Caeponis, Red for the Junii, Green for the Livii Drusi, and Blue for the Porcii Catonis.

A double-circled line represents a marrage. Some people were married more than once (e.g., Brutus' mom Servilia was married to two different members of the Junii, and Cato's mom Livia was married first to her brother-in-law Q. Servilius Caepio and later to Cato's dad). [edit: some sources have it the other way: livia first married a cato, then a caepio. I think that version makes some sense given that Caepio hero-worshipped his brother Cato, which might suggest that Cato was an older brother.]

A black-circled line ending in an arrow represents a parent/child relation. In some cases, we don't know who the mother was, or I didn't have room on the chart to indicate the fact. In one case, this omission might be misleading, i.e., in the case of the two sons of Cato the Censor. His first son was born to Licinia; his second son to a MUCH younger woman, Salonia. (Cato the Censor was 80 when he married Salonia; much to the delight of her father, though we have no record of Salonia's thoughts on the match!)

In my stemmata, each unique name represents a unique person--thus, there really were EIGHT different people named M. Porcius Cato. The Cato who opposed Caesar is often known as Cato Uticensis to distinguish him from the others; however, many sources simply assume that the Cato in question is Cato Uticensis. Some stemmata, for space reasons, have the same person entered more than once (e.g., Syme's stemmata of the Cato family enters Cato's half-brother more than once but indicates the fact by providing dates of death).

As far as space permitted, I attempted to keep generations of people in the same row. This is particularly instructive in the case of Cato Uticensis' family. As orphans, he and his sister lived with their half-brothers and sisters (Caepio, Servilia, and Servilia).

In one case, I have a dotted line. That is because the relation between C. Porcius Cato (cos. 114) and C. Porcius Cato (triumvirate lackey, tr. 56) is assumed to be patrilineal, but we're not really positive. It is interesting, however, to note that M. and C. Porcius Cato were both sworn enemies and second cousins.

Edited by M. Porcius Cato

Reverting to the "Rome" series:

Has anyone else seen the TV (mini-series?) "Julius Caesar" with Jeremy Sisto in the lead (Christopher Walken also stars)? It covers part of the same ground as "Rome" and is another interesting recent TV "take" on the period. To me it plodded a bit (I picked up a cheap dvd in a sale) and showed the strengths of "Rome".

I'd be interested to know what others thought - I did look for a thread on this but could not find one.

Phil

Has anyone identified a site or person with a downloadable version of the theme to the series? HBO have a short ringtone version .

Reverting to the "Rome" series:

Has anyone else seen the TV (mini-series?) "Julius Caesar" with Jeremy Sisto in the lead (Christopher Walken also stars)? It covers part of the same ground as "Rome" and is another interesting recent TV "take" on the period. To me it plodded a bit (I picked up a cheap dvd in a sale) and showed the strengths of "Rome".

I'd be interested to know what others thought - I did look for a thread on this but could not find one.

Phil

I do believe I've seen it. The beginning of the movie with Sulla was a bit well flimsy. But when it came to the Gallics, they portrayed him as extremely merciful. Ok movie though, just bad script.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

• 2 weeks later...

I generally enjoyed "Julius Caesar" for its depiction of Pompey (played by Chrisopher Noth, Sex and City). The portrayal of Pompey simultaneously manages to convey why he was known as Sulla's adulescentulus carnifex (teenage butcher) and to show his more sympathetic side.

Unfortunately, Jeremy Sisto--though a fine actor--was far too young to play Caesar. Sisto's youth was especially problematic, given that Christopher Walken played Cato, who was Caesar's younger rival.

trivia query here-what was the name of the bread company advertising "roman bread for true romans?" as announced in the Forum by Mr Mcnice?

trivia query here-what was the name of the bread company advertising "roman bread for true romans?" as announced in the Forum by Mr Mcnice?

Without looking it up, I think it was the Caelian Bread Bakers Guild. Using only real Italian grains (instead of that welfare stuff), they indeed made "True Roman bread for True Romans."

Without looking it up, I think it was the Caelian Bread Bakers Guild. Using only real Italian grains (instead of that welfare stuff), they indeed made "True Roman bread for True Romans."

thank you - your knowledge is truly omnivorous ;)

or would that be omniscient?

Edited by Pertinax

• 2 months later...

Has anyone heard anymore about a dvd release of the "ROME" series?

I am registered with Amazon, but have had no further information from them.

Phil