UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Monophysite Christian Kingdom Of Axum

I am not big on Christian history, but I do like hearing about strange offshoots of mainstream Christian beliefs, particularly ancient ones. That coupled with my interest in the obscure makes the mysterious kingdom of Axum an interesting topic of discussion. Anyone know much about this place? Can it be believed about Queen Sheba, Semitic origins? What troops did they have or wars did they conduct?

Ancient sources on the area:

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/nubia1.html

• 3 weeks later...

I see that the Queen has taken care to have her image shown with rolls of abdominal fat- a sign of great wealth and stability in that time and place.

I know that in Ethopia, until modern times the military there couldn't count! They came up with a system where everyone would bring a rock with them, drop it in a spot, then go into battle, come back, and then pick it back up. What was left in the pile was the casualties. They used this as a system of accounting in camp as well to make sure they had everyone.

I'm reading the Histroy of Armenia, a isolated little Christian country itself. I'm having trouble understanding it the first read through, but so far it appears they went on a joint crusade with the Byzantines against the Iranians and convinced the Iranian Shah to convert.... I gotta read it again cause it's so very confusing. I don't know who's who, or when.

• 1 month later...

Well you can't see it except that the only person who has the ability is the Arks of the Covenant's only sole caretaker who actually lives his whole life in that little space of land surrounded by a fence, I even doubt he's even look at the ten commandments. By God, I mean this guy cares it 24/7. There is such a item, but the indentity of it as the Ark of the Covenant can't be confirmed because the Ehiopians won't allow us to examine it.

Deep in a Monophysite Christian church in Ethiopia is said to be the origional Ark of the Covenant. Anyone have any information on if this item truly exists, or if anyone has seen it?

One of the most fascinating possibilities is advanced by Ethiopian Christians who claim that they have the Ark today. In Axum, Ethiopia, it is widely believed that the Ark is currently being held in the Church of Saint Mary of Zion, guarded by a monk known as the "Keeper of the Ark," who claims to have it in his possesion. According to the Axum Christian community, they acquired the Ark during the reign of Solomon, when his son Menelik, whose mother was the Queen of Sheba, stole the Ark after a visit to Jerusalem. While in the not-so-distant past the "Ark" has been brought out for Christian holidays, its keeper has not done so for several years due to the tumultuous political situation in the country. The claim has thus been impossible to verify, for no one but the monk is allowed into the tent.
via JewishVirtual Library

Deep in a Monophysite Christian church in Ethiopia is said to be the origional Ark of the Covenant. Anyone have any information on if this item truly exists, or if anyone has seen it?

The History Channel show Digging for the Truth did a special on it that was very interesting and I think they concluded the show in a noble mannor. This whole line of investigation was first brought to the general public's attention via a book by Graham Hancock... Just so coincidentaly published right after Raiders of the Lost Ark came out... ($$$) :blink:

What's funny is that I've seen some over zealous conspiracy theorists claiming that their are seceret preparations under way to move 'The Ark' from Ethiopia to Jerusalem... Can you imagine, even if the Ark was fake what would happen if that happened... :unsure:

I don't get it, why are those people so adamant about their false beliefs that they can't realize it, even with the help of science.

Maybe you could ask the Intelligent designer that.

• 3 weeks later...

Was looking through the Religion forum and came across an old thread that goes into detail on the Monophysite take on Christianity by Dan. He has some excellent ideas on it with an additional link from Viggen.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1070