UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Caesar's Siege Tactics

I have also read the Gallic Wars and sieges are quite common in it. There are some siege tactics described but I don't think they were detailed or all covered. Also, is it true Caesar's men could complete siege fortifications in a matter of days. I also remember that in one point, a large section of siege fortifications were undermanned.

I guess the answer to your question is simply brute strength, organization and endurance. These are soldiers who are use to building a fortified camp every time they march out from point to point. Building siege works is not that much different.

People generally accredit Caesar with almost inventing the Roman style of siege mastery. While he did use it with genius, it was a work in progress over the centuries handed down from one general to the next. For instance the siege of Numantia by Scipio Africanus was every bit as brilliant as Alesia I think.

The fundamentals were total encirclement, cutting off supplies and creating for the besiegers themselves a situation where they could defend themselves easily, as seen with Caesar's double-faced siege works. Once you have them starving, you can force a breech at your own convenience with bombardment or undermining walls.

Ah yes, Caesar's sieges. I love reading details of them again and again. The amazing siege terrace at Avaricum, the near failure at Gergorvia, the amazing circumvallation at Alesia. It is indicative not only of the particular engineering genius of Caesar, but the incredible endurance and training of the roman legions. For Caesar's legions to throw up such a huge amount of fortification in much less then a month around the oppidum of Alesia still amazes me. And i don't think Zela can be forgotten in a hurry either.