UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Dresden Brings Its Wartime Icon Back To Life

As they gazed over their city from a perch atop the dome of the Church of Our Lady, Brigitte and Ulrich Lehmann could not quite believe where they were standing.

For their entire lives, this splendid Baroque church, known in Germany as the Frauenkirche, had been a ruin - a bleak testament to the Allied bombing raids of February 1945. At least 25,000 people died in the raids and ensuing firestorms, which incinerated Dresden's old city, including the church.

full article at IHT

I really hate carpet bombings, there's no use to it. I mean you are already winning the war, what strategic importance would you need in demoralizing and murduring innocent civilians. Actually, the death toll from the Dresden conflageration was 500,000 people.

I think in this case it was largely motivated by a sense of vengeance even if masked by 'tactics and strategy'. I'm not advocating right or wrong, just indicating my own perception.

I really hate carpet bombings, there's no use to it. I mean you are already winning the war, what strategic importance would you need in demoralizing and murduring innocent civilians. Actually, the death toll from the Dresden conflageration was 500,000 people.

I've got to admit that after living in Russia, seeing what was done to them in WWII and hearing stories of surviving the Leningrad siege by my friend's parents and grandparents my sympathy for German civilian suffering has diminished substantially.

Its not a matter of who suffered more, but the matter that you should care for anyone who suffers. Also, what did it to make me despise(not hate) the Russian soldiers was the fact that they mercilessly raped 100,000 women and girls, not even the 8 year olds were spared. Sure it was revenge, but they must have some kind of morality.