UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Another Roman Recipe To Delight All

Pertinax

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that millet is not very nutritious.

It is nutritious

http://chetday.com/millet.html

but insufferably dull

I bought a pack of "Dove's Farm" Organic Spelt flour:

on the back was this!

Roman Army Bread

1lb of spelt flour, half tsp of sea salt, 3 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp honey, half oz of freash yeast, 14 fl oz water.

place flour in bowl, blend yeast and honey into half the water,mix these roughly together.Dissolve salt in rest of water, add to the mix then finally add the oil. Mix vigorously for 15 mins. Allow to rise for 20/25 minutes.Pre-heat oven to 180c/350 f and bake for approx 40 mins.

http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/products-dietcompatibility.htm

First attempt at the "Roman Army Bread" now in train. As I am using a breadmaking machine (boo hiss) I am trying the first loaf let down with a buckwheat flour and using cane sugar. If the machine produces a reasonable loaf my next endeavour will be the exact recipe, using borage honey : thus I can claim a "local" Brigantine flavour additive.

Machines seem to have a problem with spelt (to a degree) , in that the loaf tends to be very fine textured and dense ,I also intend a "three way" grain mix to emulate the loaf of the late Republican era (spelt/rye/coarse wheat).

Back to the lab.

The first loaf was very close textured indeed, but not unpalatable. I found that id produced something with the overall texture of a dense malt loaf (but not as heavy as a dark rye), roughly half the risen size of an ordinary shop bought loaf. My first thought was, "hmm handy size to put in your pack".I might attempt an oven bake to produce "slipper" shaped loaves.

The first loaf was very close textured indeed, but not unpalatable. I found that id produced something with the overall texture of a dense malt loaf (but not as heavy as a dark rye), roughly half the risen size of an ordinary shop bought loaf. My first thought was, "hmm handy size to put in your pack".I might attempt an oven bake to produce "slipper" shaped loaves.

My Lord: :notworthy:

Did it never occur to you that it is supposed to be that way, the manly way? If you would like a nice fluffy loaf of bread, then get a white loaf. No nutrition, so it won't contrafibulate with your herbs. Cheaper and less work. I can just imagine Romans ambling off to the local supermarket and: "Ave!, swine, might I have a packet of fresh yeast?"

Indeed, instead of having 'tea & crumpets' go for 'tea & spelt bread'. Make your watercress sandwiches with the spelt bread.

:blink:

Sourdough GO! I think they might amble to the brewery. On reflection the best description for the spelt loaf is "like a madeira cake" in density and porosity. I tried goats milk butter (as a nod to barbaric German custom) , with aioli (as posted above in this thread) on the bread and it was a hefty snack. I think making a 1lb loaf is quite enough for all non- Legionary types out there, unless you are marching 15 Roman miles between outposts before lunch.

Sourdough GO! Right on; indeed, old chap. No sissy packets of yeast. I think they might amble to the brewery. Yeah!, they had one on every corner. On reflection the best description for the spelt loaf is "like a madeira cake" in density and porosity. Que? I tried goats milk butter (as a nod to barbaric German custom) ,We're talking about Romans not barbarians here. with aioli (as posted above in this thread) (better) on the bread and it was a hefty snack. I think making a 1lb loaf is quite enough for all non- Legionary types out there, unless you are marching 15 Roman miles between outposts before lunch. Yup!

;)

A brief report on "mixed grain " bread. I attempted to produce a spelt/millet/coarse buckwheat loaf, which in varying proportion appear to have been the staple grains from the late Republican era onwards. As before I used honey, a granulated yeast (though my next effort will be to use yeast from a naturally brewed beer), and coarse sea salt. The result, a dense textured but not unpleasant bread , dark coloured , and very filling. I did cheat by imagining to be a Patrician-I added a little cinnamon, :ph34r: very nice! If anyone requires the recipe for a bread maker pm me.

I dont claim this is a True Roman bread for True Romans, but it perhaps hints at what your teeth and digestive organs would have been up against.

Being heretical Ive used a breadmaker, and as these machines require exact measurements here they are:

this is for a one and a half pound mixed grain loaf

2 tbsp of olive oil

2.5 tbsp of demerea sugar or 3 tbsp of a wildflower honey (Borage is excellent but appears to be a Brigantine speciality, manuka or heather would be ok)

1.25 tsp sea salt

3 cups flour ( each brand of machine comes with a standard "cup"), an admixture of the following seems to work fine spelt, buckwheat, malted wholegrain, rye or indeed potato flour. I used the first three in equal proportions and they turned out fine.Rye doesnt rise too well, indeed spelt might get you worried if you arent used to it).

.75 tsp yeast

one barnyard egg

again the machine will have its own time setting for the weight.A modern cheat would be to add 100mg of vit c.

• 5 weeks later...

Now here is one we tried from "A taste of Ancient Rome", this did start out as a recipe for roasted hare with herb sauce : alas the hare at the back of the freezer had too much freezer burn so I had to used some diced pheasant. However Mercurius was with me in the kitchen and guided my hands....

I used the meat from a brace of pheasants that had been finely diced , with a reasonable quantity of deep yellow fat attached.

the sauce:

pepper to your own taste (I used Sechzuan)

a teaspoon of cumin and celery seeds (quite strong tasting )

a hard boiled egg yolk

a cup of red wine (claret here)

1 tsp garum/nam pla

1 tsp vinegar

1 tbs olive oil (best)

1 tbs minced onion (must be fresh!)

a bunch of oregano

a dash of cornstarch if you need must

place the game meat in a pot with some sesame oil (this is me not Apicius!) , and hot water cook for 30 mins approx at 200. You can smell when its ready!

Grind the pepper,egg and herbs together into a damp ball. Saute the onion in wine/garum/oil/vinegar :angry: , then add the herb ball and blend with care.Stir the mix with the oregano bunch.Pour over the meat and serve with a spelt bread loaf.

Lie down and rest if over 40.If younger drink more wine and chase a slave girl.

a dash of cornstarch if you need

I never thought I'd hear you advocate cornstarch over arrowroot! Especially in an acidic, non-dairy sauce! :angry:

Otherwise it sounds quite tasty!

;) my defence is Giacosa actually suggests it. We dont own any :D . In all seriousness I used a little spelt flour.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Taste-Ancient-Ilar...TF8&s=books