UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Question About Roman Senate

Zeke

I am a little confused about how the Republican Senate opperated....the positions like Magistrate, Tribune, Adile, Praetor were these Senators in themselfs...did they have special positions in the Senate? Or were they not even part of it. And how much power did the Roman Senate accually have in the time of the Republic?

:(

Edited by Zeke

Zeke, indeed look at that link Viggen provided, because your question has such complexity and depth that it cannot be answered with a single post. :lol: If you have any more specific questions after that I would love to answer them, I have a particular interest in the workings of the Roman Republic.

I am a little confused about how the Republican Senate opperated....the positions like Magistrate, Tribune, Adile, Praetor were these Senators in themselfs...did they have special positions in the Senate? Or were they not even part of it. And how much power did the Roman Senate accually have in the time of the Republic?

:lol:

Senators filled almost all important positions in the republic and the army, so one might say the senators had all the power yet the senate only a small amount when counted as the true body of the senate excluding the specific authority that each man's position warranted as in tribunes, consuls, praetors, censors, questors and aediles which comprised the senate. I hope this makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...
Would anyone know where I could read about the senate and its relationship with the 4 Julio-Claudian Emperors??

My work is not specifically about the relationship of the Senate to the princeps in the early 'empire' but it will give a general overview..

Early Empire

There were 5 Julio-Claudians by the way... Augustus, Tiberius, Gaius/Caligula, Claudius and Nero.

Would anyone know where I could read about the senate and its relationship with the 4 Julio-Claudian Emperors??

First of all try Suetonius and Tacitus, we are lucky enough to have had this period covered by two of the best historians ever.

If you need some more clarification try HH Scullard from the Gracchi to Nero. It is very basic and straightforward. You will find it in any university library, but otherwise it may be out of print.

Good Luck

Sullafelix