UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Great Artifacts

Since works of art are every bit media, I decided to post this thread here. LEG X EQ's post on the Lombards and their crown got me thinking about priceless artifacts of the world. Lets get a list going of the absolute most precious heirlooms of humanity, maybe construct a list of the top 20 which I'll update on this first post.

So, what would Indy risk his life for?

1. The Rosetta Stone

2. The 12 Tablets Containing the Epic of Gilgamesh

3. Ebers Papyrus

4. Spear of Destiny

Edited by Favonius Cornelius

The items must be extant? not say for example particular famous texts destroyed in the fire at Alexandria?

Surely Indy would risk his neck for the Ebers papyrus?

Edited by Pertinax

The items must be extant? not say for example particular famous texts destroyed in the fire at Alexandria?

Yes, the object must exist today. Buildings and monuments are also excluded (but worth it's own thread).

I edited whilst you were replying! so Ebers Papyrus says I, and if building nominations are being taken I say The House of the Vetii

Pertinax has a point. We almost need 2 lists. One of (supposed to be) exant artifacts and ones the would have a profound impact on our understanding of the world if authentically found.

For now I will go with exant or once exant artifacts:

The 12 Tablets Containing the Epic of Gilgamesh

Edited by Pantagathus

and what timelines should we adhere to? what is modern and excluded?

By the way I reserve the right to list the items in importance. :rolleyes:

Also please describe why you believe your object of choice deserves to be on the list. (Lets try for one per customer).

Pertinax the nonextant list is your idea, so go ahead and make that list...I already have an idea... <_<

Timelines, good point. How about anything before 1900 AD?

Edited by Favonius Cornelius

ok 1.Ebers Papyrus -the basis of Egyptian medical knowledge from 1552 BCE oldest extant medical document.

2. ill cogitate on my nomination for "lost" category , ill put forward one item and assume others will do likewise , I therefore claim the privelige to rank these items!

3.do we proceed also with buildings or perhaps llimit to say inscriptions as part of the fabric of a building? also as Pantagathus might nominate perhaps a seagoing vessel ,would that be an "artefact"?

4. bit late id say -I was thinking that Longbows Sutton Hoo helmet might be a "modern" artifact -because some members might be seduced by technological items.

ok ive thought-for lost: the exoteric works of Aristotle -beat that!

Edited by Pertinax

The Rosetta stone, otherwise, European scholars these days would no clue as in how to read Egyptian. By our luck, some guy decided to engraved the thing in Latin, Greek, and Egyptian.

Since Primus already mentioned that one, you can give another...

Uh, how about the Spear of Longinus, the real one. I even believe the myth that whoever wields this weapon of God, will be invincible. I even believe the Nazi myth that they had the Spear for awhile and when they lost it, they lost the war. Yes, superstitions.

I seriously doubt that the spear we have now is 'the real one' but even potential hoax artifacts held in high esteem make the grade of importance I suppose, kind of like the Shroud of Turin.

Actually, you might be wrong about the Shroud of Turin, due to new studies. The evidence is that its indescisive to say what period the Shroud is from due to contamination(Note: even science was not that exact during the 90s) of that one main experiment and other unfortunate things done on the Shroud. One scientist whom took enough frabric material before that experiment recently carbon-dated and it happened to fall in Jesus' time period. Really, its indescisive.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus