UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Asterix And Obelix

Viggen

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... I have recently started buying them in French to speak the language better ...

Yes, I'm quite sure it helped me with speaking French. You get a much better idea than from school textbooks of the kind of things people really say in lively conversation. Just so long as you remember not to say "par Toutatis"!

I love those two Gaulish buggers!

The humor, besides being dry and very French, is also kind of hard to get if you're not well versed in European history and mythology.

Par Toutatis! B)

Which is probably why they don't sell well in the 'States.

BTW, since we're on the topic of Asterix and Obelix, I want to know how many historical inaccuracies there are in those comics. I realize they are not supposed to have historical value but I want to know just for the heck of it. B)

Let me point out a few that I noticed:

The Colisseum was not around in Caesar's time.

Legionaries probably did not wear the lorica segmentata type of armour in Caesar's time.

Caesar was almost certainly not blonde.

I believe the legionary helmets are also anachronistic.

Both centurions and legionaries are shown wearing their swords on their left sides. IIRC only centurions did that.

Anything else?

BTW, since we're on the topic of Asterix and Obelix, I want to know how many historical inaccuracies there are in those comics. I realize they are not supposed to have historical value but I want to know just for the heck of it. B)

There are too many to mention, but most I think are deliberate - such as the depiction of a motorway service centre, but on a Roman road, and built in classical style. Another one that springs to mind is the ring of forts around the edge of Corsica - about thirty of them.

Things which are very accurate indeed are depictions of the Circus Maximus, theatres, bath houses etc. Military installations perhaps less so.

Another one that springs to mind is the ring of forts around the edge of Corsica - about thirty of them.

Ave

I don't recollect the forts in Asterix in Corsica, but are you saying they are anachronistic as far as the era is concerned?