UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome's Greatest Legacy To The Modern World

M. Porcius Cato

Rome's Greatest Legacy  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What was Rome's broadest and most beneficial influence on the modern world?

• Roman Architecture & Engineering
    • Roman Arts, Literature, & Philosophy
    • Roman Law
    • Roman Religion
    • Roman Warcraft
    • Other

The roman influence on us is insidious. Their cultural ambitions are the bedrock on which we developed our own, although its human psychology that determines how similar we are. In fact I don't think we're as close to the romans as we sometimes assume, apart from the behaviour of our society as a whole. America is a slightly different case because their society was based on classical principles far more than our own. We are, if you like, developing on a parallel course with the romans. Not the same as, a little influenced by, but heading along a well worn path.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have left us a wealth of literary works. Obviously they were preserved by other but what they have past down to us is really amazing.

Also architecture they have left a wealth of buildings which inspired many to rediscover technologies to recreate them during the Renaissance! Without them we may be quite substantial behind in the tech tree when it comes to things like architecture and engineering.

• 2 weeks later...

Roman Law. I'm pretty sure the legal system of almost every state on earth have elements derived from Roman Law. Most legal terminology in Western countries is derived from Latin.

I understood it was the greeks who introduced law in the Roman dynasty, including democracy, which inturn came from the OT. Which law was given the world by Rome per se: I cannot think of a single one? The right of inter-marraige is not a law, but an acquience of a preceding premise, which Rome barred for awhile, then sanctioned again; the right of appeal is also not a Roman law, but subsisted previously.

A very shortsighted viev. Before Romans came civil law was primitive and limited. Greek inventions were important only for public law but when it come to private law it were pragmatic Romans who invented it. If you today can do whatever you want with somthing you have bought - it is because of Romans, not Greeks. When you are using someone's else room, flat or house and paying rent for it, you can do it because Romans invented this contract as well as all the obligations wich come from it for both owner and leeseer. When someone is violating your rights you can hire a lawyer - only because Romans invented this profession. Before Romans all you could have done was taking a stick and break someone's head. You could have also go to your ruler or priest and let him be judge and give the verdict - whatever verdict - even injust and not reasonable - but coming from God or gods.

All the civil law, the contracts, companies, legal construction of such notions like "property", "real estates", legal rules which are used untill today like for example "Lex retro non agit" - the law cannot work backward, Nemo in alium plus iuris transfere potest quam ipse habet - noone can transfer on other more rights than he has"; dura lex, sed lex - hard law but still law, summum ius summa iniuria - too strickt obiding of law leads to Lawlessness, ius est ars boni et aequi - only this is law what is good and just - which rules recive completelly new meaning after experiences of 20th century - eg Nurenburg bills which deprived of property all German citisens of jewish nationality.

The whole way of lawyer's thinking, arguing and reasoning which is used today comes from ancient Rome, we learned it from Roman lawyers, the systematics and dialectics of Roman law is still in use.

Roman law survived the death of the state which created it. As it was still in use in eastern empire it was as well adopted by new barbarian states which arised on the ashes of Rome. Affcourse it was usually terribly mixed with some primitve germanic customs but it was still Roman Law. Those barbarian codes of Roman law were famouse "Leges Romanae Barbarorum" from V and VI century AD:

1. Lex Romana Visigothorum known also as "Breviarium Alarici"

2. Lex Romana Burgundiorum

3.Edictum Theodorici

In the end of 11th century in Italy comes the reneissance of Roman law thanks to Irnerius and university of Bolonia. Italian cities - republics which use Roman law become the richest cities in Europe. From Italy Roman Law goes to all European countries, even such like Poland, which never been a part of Roman Empire. After creation of Holy Roman Empire - Roman law became the highest law over all local germanic laws and was one of the factors which was uniting HRE.

In the begining of 19th century first European code of law is created, French Code Civil, written by Napoleon and based on Roman law. After reunification of Germany, German code - BGB is enacted. The critics in Germany were asking - "is it a law for Germans or for Romans?". Next comes Swiss ZBGB and sooner or later Roman civil law becomes a standart for the all civilised world. Even in such countries like Sri Lanka where untill today is used "Roman-Dutch law".

Roman law was also the law of Church after fall of Roman empire and thats where from comes the old proverb : Ecclesia vivit lege romana" - Church lives by roman law.

Edited by Mosquito

Even in such countries like Sri Lanka where untill today is used "Roman-Dutch law".

Sri Lanka or Indonesia?

Security in land ownership allowed landowners to obtain loans against their land as collateral. The poverty stricken countries of today do not have this security.

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Even in such countries like Sri Lanka where untill today is used "Roman-Dutch law".

Sri Lanka or Indonesia?

Security in land ownership allowed landowners to obtain loans against their land as collateral. The poverty stricken countries of today do not have this security.

Without making long investigations i typed in wikipedia "Roman Dutch Law" and it looks I was right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Dutch_law

It is interesting so many picked architecture/engineering, as well as art for some. I believe both fields owe a heavy debt to the Etruscans and Hellenes, even if the Romans placed some unique spins on those fields and - in the case of engineering at least - applied them more systematically.

It is interesting so many picked architecture/engineering, as well as art for some. I believe both fields owe a heavy debt to the Etruscans and Hellenes, even if the Romans placed some unique spins on those fields and - in the case of engineering at least - applied them more systematically.

Exactly! While Roman law is exlusivlly Roman invention.

Yep, precisely. :) Rome's greatest native contribution was its law (and I believe, related to that, its political organization and ideals on empire).

But the Hellenophiles among us are apt to say Rome's greatest achievement was preserving and transmitting the intellectual heritage of Hellas to a greater European civilization. They may have a point, provided of course how much one internalizes the achievements of Hellas.

But the Hellenophiles among us are apt to say Rome's greatest achievement was preserving and transmitting the intellectual heritage of Hellas to a greater European civilization.

I hadn't even thought of including "preserving the glory of Greece" in the poll. Rome's own achievements, I thought, presented enough to choose from. If you throw "preserving the glory of Greece" in the mix, I'd have to switch my vote from Roman law to Greek philosophy.

• 3 weeks later...

Dont think rome invented anything, stole an awful lot though, cement from carthage , ie.not that modern cement is the same

Had to vote for roman law, which is most of europe and south america, USA's is more derived from english common law and indonesia is shira law now last time i was there

lex naturalis

• 2 weeks later...

Law.

I mean, its a unique contribution. Lots of civilizations have left us something architecturally/technologically (Persians, Celts, Chinese, even native Americans, most any major group one can name), and had their great achievements in these areas, but none other than Rome have left such a profound influence on one of the most basic elements of our society, through so many different nations.

I picked architecture. Granted the Romans didn't invent the aqueduct, or the Doric, Ionic, or Corinthian column, but the way they used architecture as a personification of their national strength is something that resonates to this day. They didn't just build big in the capital, they did it in every city in the Roman world. They built with efficiency that has only be replicated over the past 100-200 years. Ok, I'm a little partial to architecture. :)

Dont think rome invented anything, stole an awful lot though, cement from carthage , ie.not that modern cement is the same

Had to vote for roman law, which is most of europe and south america, USA's is more derived from english common law and indonesia is shira law now last time i was there

lex naturalis

I think that in the Northern America it is in Louisiana (USA) and Quebec (Canada).

And english common law was also highly influenced by Roman Law.

Edited by Mosquito