UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Fall Of Constantinople

Fox Hound

No, it's just that the question should be "who was more brutal?"

If I had to choose, I'd put the emphasis on Ottoman brutality.

I find it hard to think of any people who have been more brutal and barbaric than Europeans.

The Mongols! Obviously there was Temujin and his descendants, especially Timur the Lame who were all brutal.

Even more than the Huns...

The latin pillage was quite orderly made. They put all loot in one place and divided it among themselves later.

The fall of the city to ottomans was a devastating blow to his christian inhabitants, but for the city was not bad.

The decading town came to new life and in some years became the greatest city of Europe, a capital that ruled an empire from Buda to Basorah and from Oran to Crimmea.

It was a very cosmopolit place until the end of Ottoman Empire when most greeks and armenians were expelled and the westerners left.

Today Istanbul is a huge city of 12 milion, spaning on two continents and with lots of monuments both roman and ottoman. I spent a week there and was not enough to see all major atractions. The night life is very intese, but judging from the safety measures taken, unsafe.

Back on topic ottomans were always brutal with city inhabitants. For example when they city of Cetatea Alba in Moldova surrendered the sultan did not keep his promise and took away all the inhabitants and garisson.