UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Praetor Peregrinus

Favonius Cornelius

I think one of the most elusive offices was that of the praetor peregrinus. All I've ever heard of this office is that it is related to foreign affairs.

Consider this post an official plea and challenge to the people of this noteworthy site to educate me on the subtleties of the powers and jurisdiction of the praetor peregrinus. :)

I believe you will find this a suitable answer: :)

"Peregrīnus -The description in Roman law of any foreigner or person other than a citizen sojourning or domiciled within Roman territory. Originally peregrini were entirely without rights, unless they obtained a patronus, except in cases where there was a treaty (foedus) with the State to which they belonged, regulating the legal position of the subjects of the two States respectively. But the increasing intercourse between Rome and other States, and the consequent growth in the number of peregrini in Rome, made it necessary to grant to all foreigners a definite competency to acquire property, enter into obligations, and the like; and for the decision of civil suits between foreigners and citizens, or of foreigners among themselves, a special praetor (q.v.) was appointed. From the public, private, and sacrificial law of Rome they were always excluded." - Harry Thurston Peck, Harper's Dictionary of Classical Antiquities

Edited by Pantagathus

Ah that's interesting. The job of the peregrinus then could be a lot more complicated and demanding then I'd imagine, having to account for the varying laws of other nations and Roman common law.

I would say it was a complicated job indeed.

But from one point of view, worthy of a sitcom too perhaps! :) Can you imagine having to arbitrate something between a Germanic & Mauritanian per se?

If addition to his province over foreigners, if the Praetor Urbanis was away for some reason the Praetor Peregrinus would exercise the function of both offices, which could include leading armies and convening the Senate if the Consuls were also away. Being a praetor of either strip was of course the stepping stone to the Consulship or provincial administration.

But from one point of view, worthy of a sitcom too perhaps! Can you imagine having to arbitrate something between a Germanic & Mauritanian per se?

LOL. That's one of the funniest things I've read in here.

If addition to his province over foreigners, if the Praetor Urbanis was away for some reason the Praetor Peregrinus would exercise the function of both offices, which could include leading armies and convening the Senate if the Consuls were also away. Being a praetor of either strip was of course the stepping stone to the Consulship or provincial administration.

Interesting. In likewise fashion could a Peregine cover for the Urbanus? Do you know of any examples where a city praetor was lucky enough to lead troops? Were there any instances of a praetor winning a triumph for it?