UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Contributions To Legions List?

I'm new to this site and have been reading up regarding the histories of various legions on the fascinating Legion List and noticed that many of the higher numbered legions on Page 2 and Page 3 (Legio IV - XXX) have rather scant biographies. Is this an "in progress" sort of compilation?

I happened to be reading a book today that went into some detail on a few particular legions and their movements/battles and felt that maybe I could contribute some to that listing.

Who are the authors of that Legion List? Do they accept contributions, and if they do how should I go about trying to assist them if I can? Is there a reason they do not have a great deal of info on some of those higher legions? Maybe you don't want to include any "partial" history for any particular legion or there are no accurate/reputable sources on them?

Who are the authors of that Legion List? Do they accept contributions, and if they do how should I go about trying to assist them if I can? Is there a reason they do not have a great deal of info on some of those higher legions? Maybe you don't want to include any "partial" history for any particular legion or there are no accurate/reputable sources on them?

Welcome to UNRV Crassus.

In answer to your question, Primus Pilus would be the author, and UNRV would be glad to read any contributions you'd like to make. Just post your information in this thread, and be sure to list your references. Reasons behind the higher legions you mention not having a great deal of information I guess would be time, as Primus Pilus (Chris Heaton) writes everything you read on the site, and this information is in a constant state of update and he is yet to get to those legions in detail. Your conjecture regarding lack of credible sources on these legions may also be the case.

I'll echo the sentiments regarding contributions. There is plenty of information available to do at least scant bio's on all the listed legions, its just something that got put on the shelf and I never got back to it :ph34r:

Ok then I'll try to help out ;)

XXI Rapax

One of the original 28 Augustan Legions

Foundation:

Formed by Augustus, likely after the Battle of Actium (31 BC) possibly incorporating veterans of

other legions.

Its emblem was the Capricorn.

Permanent Bases:

I ? - 9 AD: Regina Castra (Regensburg, Germany)

II 9 - 43 AD: Castra Vetera (Xanten-Birten, Germany)

III 43 - 69 AD: Vindonissa (Windisch, Switzerland)

IV 70? - 83 AD: Bonna (Bonn, Germany)

V 83-89 AD: Mainz, Germany

VI 89-92 AD: Pannonia

Events

69 AD: Supported Vitellius during the civil war and marched on Italy and Rome defeating Otho's supporters at Cremona. Later was defeated by Vespasian.

70 AD: Part of an army sent to reconquer Germany after the uprising of the Batavians.

89 AD: Was one of the two Upper Germania legions to support Saturninus's military revolt which was quickly supressed by the legions from Lower Germania.

92 AD: Was a part of Domitian's campaign against the Suebi and Sarmatians in the 2nd Pannonian War. Was probably destroyed by the Sarmatians during this conflict.

-------------------

The main source that I have been reading was "The Emperor Domitian" by Brian W. Jones which covers in depth the military activity under Domitian. So most of the info for ~80 to 92 AD is from this source.

For the other, earlier, information I used a couple of sites:

http://www.livius.org/le-lh/legio/xxi_rapax.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legio_XXI_Rapax

plus I started with what you already had in the Legion List.

Now I have not seen anywhere a clear answer for what XXI was doing from 31 to 9, though they suggest that they spent time in Hispania and moved to Rhaetia around 15 BC, I wasn't sure how you woud like to indicate those uncertainties.

There were also a number of events from before 69, which I knew less about and did not include, mostly they seem to be various operations in Germany. I wasn't sure whats the level of "importance" we need to include.

Any thoughts?

Edited by M. Licinius Crassus