UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

On A Mission To Explore Deepest Lycia

Viggen

Children play in the dirt between humble abodes with tin roofs, as carts, donkeys and farm vehicles pass by. We assure the owner of the yard where we know there is an inscribed stone that we have the permission of the Culture Ministry.

He warmly welcomes us with tea as the neighbors gather. I try to persuade him that it is not necessary to cut down the rose bush and the tree growing in front of the tombstone bearing a relief of a youth

Nothing like that happened, but there were other problems of an entirely different nature. It cost almost double to travel from Athens to Lycia as from Germany or Switzerland, since there were no direct flights to the nearest airport (Antalya). Moreover, there was no financial support from any Greek organization. The finances of the National Research Foundation are another sorry story typical of Greek state institutions. So I received only moral support.

Its sad to see that, apparently the Turkish and Greek goverments haven't been on talking terms.

I thought Lycia wonderful, not least Xanthus, which really captured my imagination. The stories attached to it and its position on a crag high above the River of the same name.

Caunus is also a spectacular site especially if followed by a trip to the nearby beach.

I went about 10 years ago, during a tour of Aegean Turkey (also saw Troy, Miletus, Ephesus, Aphrodisias, Pergamum, etc) run by a UK firm called "Explore" a company that i would recommend. We began and ended in Istanbul - a magnificant city for any classicist to visit.

I love the Turks for the honesty, friendliness and charm and want to go back.

Phil