UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Dacian Wars

Unfortunately you'll find that there isn't a great deal of written ancient source material especially regarding Trajan's campaigns. Archeological evidence including numismatics (coinage) has actually been quite important. There is a bit more regarding Domitian's earlier campaigns but nothing all that fantastic. There is another recent thread around here somewhere pointing out some source materials regarding Trajan's Column...

here it is Dacians, Romans, Scythians

Here is my own written overview of the Dacian conflicts...

Domitian and Decebalus

Trajan's Dacian War

Here is some ancient source material...

Suetonius: Lives of the Caesars on Domitian

Cassius Dio book 67 on Domitian

Cassius Dio Book 68 fragmentary on Trajan.

Aurelius Victor also offers some limited history but I don't know if his work exists online anywhere. Pliny the Younger is an excellent source on some of Trajan's policies but not at all regarding Dacia.

• 2 weeks later...

Is worth to mention the fact that many of the dacic fortifications are very well studied by romanian arheologists but you can find very little about that on the internet.

This fortifications are really impressive and they played an important role in this war.

• 1 month later...
I know very little of the Romans' conflicts with the tribes and peoples of Dacia. Would any of you care to share your knowledge with me? Thanks.

An archeological discovery of a tomb belonging to a wealthy singulare(cavalry elite) named maximus brought light to the dacian wars recently. Maybe if you looked up (maximus-dacian wars) you might find a very interesting first hand account of the dacian wars.

• 4 weeks later...

There are some very nice studies, but first how good it's your knowledge of romanian language? <_<

Edit: Actually, acces to romanian hitsory books in other languages it's a problem for many who are interested in our long and troubled history. Some books were published before ww2, but are obsolete. Few have been published during the comunism, and this few were published some in english, others in french or german. The economic crisis after the fall of comunism was a nice excuse to publish just a few. Romanian arheolgy made lots of digs and studies so, for any period you have an ample bibliography in romanian and a few books in other languages. As we discussed in another topic I'll try to copy here some titles and publishers for english.

Internet it's infested by groups that claim that dacians where the belly button of the world, so be cautios with online sources.

Edited by Kosmo