UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Great Chain

Honorius

I have a map of Constantinopole/Istanbul as my desktop that shows another chain from the starting point of the Golden Horn chain to the Tower of Leander and then to Skudari (Chrisopolis) on the asian side.

It sais "Barrier chain (1433)"

I do not know anything about it.

I think that these chains were very effective, other wise what was the point of draging a fleet over land if you can just break the chain?

ah kosmo by any chance could you like send it to me somehow or give me the link to where you found it? thanx

I wonder if anyone has ever attempted a reconstruction of a chain to see how effective it really was. Just because no one bothered to take it down doesn't mean it worked!

Would be pretty expensive I'd imagine. All that iron, which needs to be secured well to massive stone walls, then you have to get authentic ships...

I wonder if anyone has ever attempted a reconstruction of a chain to see how effective it really was. Just because no one bothered to take it down doesn't mean it worked!

Would be pretty expensive I'd imagine. All that iron, which needs to be secured well to massive stone walls, then you have to get authentic ships...

It is my understanding that the chain was recorded as being extremely efficent in the cause of guarding the Golden Horn. Infact, right up to the fall of Constantinople in 1453, the Sultan had to organize a way for his ships to bypass the chain by having his ships moved over land.

And also, even if his vastly superior numbers, the Sultan did not directly assault the Christian ships positioned along the length of the chain in fear of another defeat.

I have heard in various accords that pieces of the chain are still around in various European mueseums.

Infact, right up to the fall of Constantinople in 1453, the Sultan had to organize a way for his ships to bypass the chain by having his ships moved over land.

Whoa, how did he do that? Like how many ships were there and size?

It was an entire fleet, probably around 40 ships. The Sultan had the road flattened, and had the ships placed on top of wooden logs.

He had the ships pushed from the sea, onto the logs, and then rolled them onto the other side of the chain.

Quite amazing.

• 6 months later...