UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Teutoburgwald

frankq

I read the book, and all the points so far made about the time frame for the battle, German spear throwing rate etc are probably valid. (Anyone know how long Aquae Sextae took ?)

If I were to concentrate on positive elements of the book though, his theories regarding the subsequent separation of Europe between Romantic and Germanic seemed sound, or at least plausible.

Another point I found interesting was the information regarding Arminius previous relationship with Varus, Arminius having served in Auxiliary forces and his deliberate deception of the too trusting Varus. While there's no doubt that Varus was not a stellar general, I couldn't help but be left with a certain admiration for Arminius, rather than just contempt of Varus if you take my drift.

Varus served well as governor of Syria, and stomped out the rebellion of 4 BC in Judea after Herod's death. He knew when to act and when to strike. But speaking in military terms, Germania was different turf than Judea. And Germania's terrain spooked the Roman legions.

Throughout history, capable leaders often end up playing the fall guy. Any case, Varus was first and foremost an administrator, not a general.

As far as I'm aware, the original battle site, which extended a considerable distance, was deforested centuries ago. A small area has been restored to natural condition in recent years but I'm not sure if thats at the location where the battle took place.

Because of the vast number of artifacts found and the apparent conformity of the location to ancient sources most historians and archaeologists are now convinced it was the site of the ambush.