UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Auxillia

Guest Optiocostelloe

Guest Optiocostelloe

Ave,

AS interested as i am in Roman history, im averse to cutting my long hair (vainity oh sweet vanity) anyway, were Auxillia recruit forced to cut their hair? also in "Gladiator" that highly acurate move :shocking: one of the Preatorians has long hair, plausible?

The amusing quip on Boris Johnson's "Dreams of Rome " (BBc screening) was that the baths as the apex of the Roman "brand" were all about depilation. In went Gauls with long hair and moustachios (and a great deal of barbarian body hair) out came clean shaven ,smooth limbed "citizens". Certainly as was stated in that documentary we find an "epidemic of tweezers" as a concommitant to the establishment of the forum/baths/colosseum as the identifiable focii of a romanised city.This tends to suggest squaddies would have to get a haircut to conform to a roman image -and from a practical viewpoint as little hair as possible helps when you have to wear a close fitting helmet .In fairness beards were very fashionable at the time of Marcus Aurelius !

Dont take this as gospel -I thought the argument was at least persuasive, given the Roman love of a good steam bath.

Ave,

AS interested as i am in Roman history, im averse to cutting my long hair (vainity oh sweet vanity) anyway, were Auxillia recruit forced to cut their hair? also in "Gladiator" that highly acurate move :shocking: one of the Preatorians has long hair, plausible?

Long hair was something that was frowned upon, for the reasons Pertinax stated but also, in battle, someone's long hair could be used against them. Having trouble fighting somone off, pull thier hair and force them off balance to get in a clean shot. I think it had more to do with hygene and appearance since the Romans took these two as almost relegious fervor.

A Preatorian with long hair would be unthinkable.

Before the total subjudgation of the Ligurians, the mountain tribes wore their hair long like their Gaulish neighbors & the Germans. Pliny tells us that the cropping of their hair was regarded as a proof of their subjugation by Rome. To me that supports what Pertinax asserts.

But you have asked a specific question... I have never come accross a reference stating that Auxilla had to hit the barber's tent before hitting the field.

Edited by Pantagathus

A small thing that struck me about this thread was the museum finds I have seen-as you know many warrior cultures (those tending to be based on conspicuos bravery and bravado) emphasise long hair and the thorough grooming of it. The Scythians seem to have been great mirror users and hair combers as attested by the abundance of grave goods , grooming implements being inhumed along with weapons. The Japanese were always assiduous in the care of the hair ,especially prior to combat. In Roman artefact collections I see many strigils, shears and ointment jars but no mirrors except those attested to womens quarters.

Its animal behaviour. By putting on a display (in this case fastidious grooming) you advertise to your rivals that you are.. well... better somehow. Until they beat you in confrontations that is.