UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Seleucid Empire

I suggest starting here; Story of the Nations--Alexanders Empire.

Charles Rollins --Ancient History

Seleucus like the rest of Diadochi' histories have been altered to fit the Western Allies Greek Views of Post-1912. Islam has also played a great role in attempting to alter historical facts.

regards,

Seleucus like the rest of Diadochi' histories have been altered to fit the Western Allies Greek Views of Post-1912. Islam has also played a great role in attempting to alter historical facts.

We get round that, I suppose, by reading the ancient sources. The problem is that for the Seleucid period few survive. Arrian's history of the Diadochi (the succesors to Alexander) is lost, except in summary, and I know of no translation of that summary. Diodorus Siculus covers this period (available in Loeb) but only parts of his work survive. Polybius covered some of the early-to-middle Seleucid period, but his real focus was on Rome ... There is some gossipy Seleucid history in Athenaeus, but that means searching through Athenaeus (who is my favourite author, as it happens, but I'm a bit odd).

• 6 months later...
Thanks guys...I'm still looking for good books on Rome...I'm only still in highschool but plan to get my PhD in ancient history. I teach myself, my highschool classes suck....thanks though I'll be looking to buy some of those titles.

Vale!

Neptune

Good for you. I'm thinking of being a history teacher myself. Sorry you don't like your classes. I had some good teachers and we always used to BS about this and that. Teaching yourself is the best.