UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Societal,political And Historical Consequences From The Fall Of Ro

Scott

Hey guys I am interested in how the barbarian wars shaped the fall of Rome and the consequences that this ultimatley had. I must write a research paper on this and I was wondering if you guys know of some good websites that could give me some of the political,social and historical consequences for the fall of Rome. I in no way would use any of the information of any websites in my paper but I just want to read some information to help me wrap my head around the subject.

Thank you very much for your time in advance.

Hey guys I am interested in how the barbarian wars shaped the fall of Rome and the consequences that this ultimatley had. I must write a research paper on this and I was wondering if you guys know of some good websites that could give me some of the political,social and historical consequences for the fall of Rome. I in no way would use any of the information of any websites in my paper but I just want to read some information to help me wrap my head around the subject.

Thank you very much for your time in advance.

The Barbarian Wars?

Perhaps you should be more specific, because when you say "Shaped" it doesn't seem to fit and I am confused... did you mean how did the barbarian incursions from the 3rd Century to the 5th effect Rome and how did it lead to it's downfall and the consequences of Rome falling in the West?

Also, be aware, several of us here do not feel Rome 'fell' but instead evolved, though I think we are the minority.

I can give you an excellent list of books, however I would highly suggest you stay away from websites unless you look at where they got thier information from. Head to a library for good information and the books... also are you in college or HS, since I would then know which type of books to suggest to you since I know a college student has much better access to more books than someone in HS or grade school...

Hello and thanks for your reply. I am a university student who is writing a paper on how the barbarian invasions of the 4th and 5th centuries shaped rome and what the social, political and historical consequences were. I have some books at home with me already but I just wanted to get some information summarized so that I could wrap my head around the whole topic. I really just wanted to know the big consequences the barbarians had and how rome "evolved" after 476.

I really just wanted to know the big consequences the barbarians had and how rome "evolved" after 476.

Your paper will be easier to write if you consider asking yourself more specific questions. Consequences for whom, for example? For Italy? For the Eastern Empire? For the new barbarian successor states? For the city of Rome? For the Papacy? For international trade? For the Latin language? For the Roman elites? For standard of living? For the production of luxury items? For literacy? For paganism? You need to ask yourself more questions about those "consequences" so that you have a paper that's doable. The way you're asking the question now would require an answer the size of an encyclopedia.

Edited by Ludovicus

I really just wanted to know the big consequences the barbarians had and how rome "evolved" after 476.

Your paper will easier to write if you consider asking yourself more specific questions. Consequences for whom, for example? For Italy? For the Eastern Empire? For the new barbarian successor states? For the city of Rome? For the Papacy? For international trade? For the Latin language? For the Roman elites? For standard of living? For the production of luxury items? For literacy? For paganism? You need to ask yourself more questions about those "consequences" so that you have a paper that's doable. The way you're asking the question now would require an answer the size of an encyclopedia.

Well maybe I could report briefly how politics were changed in the Roman empire and the effect that this had on society in general. The Roman empire was obviously extremley influential so if their policies were changed then it would have an impact on many cultures besides their own. The three main ideas that I could explore would be: How the Roman empire's politics changed, The effect that had immediatley on the rest of Europe and lastly the lasting consequences this has has on contemporary life in the western world.

Obviously you guys know a lot more about the subject than I do so if this sounds like a paper that I could find a wealth of information and would prove to be a somewhat decent paper please let me know. Thanks for all the help guys it's much appreciated.

Seeing as barbarians were running Rome after 476AD I'd say the consequences were very important. A lot of them had overrun the west not to destroy it, but to capture it, to rule it, to become like romans. Of course they couldn't because they weren't sophisticated enough (and running Rome wasn't as easy as the romans made it look) but I do find it amusing to think of hairy germans wearing togas and strutting around like tin gods. I'm sure there were a few.

It isn't really my period, but I'd hazard a guess that the barbarians basically snatched an expensive toy and wrecked it because they couldn't read the instructions.

Seeing as barbarians were running Rome after 476AD I'd say the consequences were very important. A lot of them had overrun the west not to destroy it, but to capture it, to rule it, to become like romans. Of course they couldn't because they weren't sophisticated enough (and running Rome wasn't as easy as the romans made it look) but I do find it amusing to think of hairy germans wearing togas and strutting around like tin gods. I'm sure there were a few.

It isn't really my period, but I'd hazard a guess that the barbarians basically snatched an expensive toy and wrecked it because they couldn't read the instructions.

While I am sure this happened on some occasions, some barbarians were far more capable and more Roman than some Romans... an excellent example being Theodoric the Great and his daughter Amansulatha. Barbarians by pure blood but more Roman than anything else and who knew how to run adminstrations and institutions the 'correct' Roman way.

My personal opinion on the matter is that the Barbarians did not contribute to the fall of Rome as much as many other important events. With hardly a million barbarians on the boarder of Rome at any given time the population was too small to make a huge impact. It was due to corruption on a much larger scale.

The Eastern empire though under much worse outside conditions still managed to hold and and come back from its own crisis. Because of this I really do think the only impact the Barbarians had was to put their own Romanized programs in place of the existing ones, eventually. They all attempted to emulate Rome. It was a problem that most of them remained Arians because of the conflict which was created. But it seems to me with the Eastern Empire staying involved for the next several centuries, until the Lombards really took care of that, the barbarians would come and go just putting themselves in place of the former aristocracy.

Edited by Horu

While I am sure this happened on some occasions, some barbarians were far more capable and more Roman than some Romans... an excellent example being Theodoric the Great and his daughter Amansulatha. Barbarians by pure blood but more Roman than anything else and who knew how to run adminstrations and institutions the 'correct' Roman way.

Actually you've backed up my point but I agree from time to time there would be barbarians able enough to do the job - they were human beings after all and sometimes you find a good leader amongst even the most ignorant. However, the knowledge of doing things the roman way must have come from education and experience in roman culture, otherwise they'd do a godd job of running things the 'sort-of-roman-but-actually-barbarian' way. If you see what I mean.