UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome And Malaria The High Water Mark?

sullafelix

I am sure that loads of you know that malaria was a big problem for the Romans and it has been proposed as one of the reasons why Tiberius Gracchus found Etruria deserted when he went through in the latter half of the Second Century BC. But I was wondering if anyone knows where malaria got to? I am wondering if it got as far North as say Liguria, does anyone know? Is it or was it present in any other mediterranean countries..all help would be gratefully recieved

Oops my apologies tiredness got the better of me I meant to post this in Romana Humanitas..I am sure one of you will oblige and move me!

Edited by sullafelix

The Campagna , and especially the islands of Sicily and Sardinia were known for spring and autumn fevers during the early Imperium. Drainage and assiduous husbandry were the main tools to combat the parasite-reduction of morbidity and mortality are relatively modern achievements. Plague like visitations in the Campagna waxed and waned in medieval times, interestingly the British Fens -the likeliest breeding ground here were probably saved by Roman enginnering works. I have no notes on Liguria -perhaps pantagathus can help here?Earliest evidence in Greek medical works seems to be about 500BC ish.

Edited by Pertinax

The Campagna , and especially the islands of Sicily and Sardinia were known for spring and autumn fevers during the early Imperium. Drainage and assisouos husbandry were the main tools to combat the parasite-reduction of morbidity and mortality are relatively modern achievements. Plague like visitations in the Campagna waxed and waned in medieval times, interestingly the British Fens -the likeliest breeding ground here were probably saved by Roman enginnering works. I have no notes on Liguria -perhaps pantagathus can help here?Earliest evidence in Greek medical works seems to be about 500BC ish.

Thanks Pertinax I will check that out

B)

Sorry I should add Malaria got quite far north -coastal scandinavia and the ukraine for example.

The Clinical Microbiology Review site has a malaria sub section-you can see that the parasite was all across the med during the Imperium. (Carter and Mendis article-massive amount of info).

http://cmr.asm.org/

Edited by Pertinax