UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Praetorian Guards

I remember hearing from a few places that the Praetorians were of Germanic decent, at least at certain times in their history. I was doing research recentally and I can't find anywhere that says anything about the Praetorians being Germanic or Roman or anything. Does anyone know about this for sure?

The Emperor's personal body guard, which I think was a separate group than the Praetorian Guard even, was all German.

For the Praetorian Guard, it's composition depended on the Emperor. If the Emperor was placed on the throne by Pannonian legions, then you can be sure his Praetorian Guard was composed of them or at least had an infusion of them when he gained the purple.

The Emperor's personal body guard, which I think was a separate group than the Praetorian Guard even, was all German.

For the Praetorian Guard, it's composition depended on the Emperor. If the Emperor was placed on the throne by Pannonian legions, then you can be sure his Praetorian Guard was composed of them or at least had an infusion of them when he gained the purple.

Additionally there is sometimes confusion on the idea that the guard itself was Germanic because Vitellius and later Septimius Severus recruited the guard completely from the legions serving the borders of Germania (usually indicated as German Legions).

was this just for loyalties sake, because they looked fetching with their big handlebar moustaches or because of a tradition?I seem to remember something about the tradition of a Gallic bodyguard going back to Augustus (or is that Horsecr*p?)

The germans were big lads generally. The average height for a roman was around 5'4" to 5'6", whereas the better diet of barbarian celts gave them heights more akin to what we see today. It stands to reason that germans were recruited into the praetorians, especially later as the supply of germanic soldiers increased. Given the way they recruited them though there would always have been non-germans involved, particularly the officers.