UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Honorius To Britain: Look To Your Own Defences

Kathleenb

I see many references to this letter or Rescript from Honorius to Britain, and a couple of sites have referred to Zosimus or Gildas as being the source for this letter... but I can't find the reference in any text of Zoximus or Gildas posted online. Can anyone point me to the primary source for this letter?

Thanks.

I see many references to this letter or Rescript from Honorius to Britain, and a couple of sites have referred to Zosimus or Gildas as being the source for this letter... but I can't find the reference in any text of Zoximus or Gildas posted online. Can anyone point me to the primary source for this letter?

Thanks.

Indeed its Zosimus. Here's an English copy online at Vortigern Studies. The passage is in chapter 10.

Just a comment, but if Honorius had really wanted to, he could have martialled the western armies and saved the empire. Things were still not beyond the point of no return then.

very true... i think he was more interested in hes pet chickens then the empire.

A full mobilization of the large western army could have secured all of the borders, and if he had been bold enough, he could have shaken off the German influence at the imperial court, like the eastern emperors managed to do. The western empire could have fully rejoined the empire, and it might have been able to do things that the eastern empire alone couldn't have, like stemmed the tide of the spread of Islam.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely. Peter Heather (Fall of the Roman Empire) says that in 406 the Empire 'was at last going somewhere' for the first time in years. Then they blew it. A second chance at revival apparantly came in the mid 5th century, but Marjorian wasted the Empire's strength on a fruitless campaign against the Vandals.

• 3 years later...
Absolutely. Peter Heather (Fall of the Roman Empire) says that in 406 the Empire 'was at last going somewhere' for the first time in years. Then they blew it. A second chance at revival apparantly came in the mid 5th century, but Marjorian wasted the Empire's strength on a fruitless campaign against the Vandals.

Why was it a waste? It was a tragedy that it didn't work out, but as Heather suggests, regaining Africa was key to getting the all-important tax revenues and grain flowing again.

It's very easy to suggest that all that was need was to field an army and see off the vandal threat or whatever. I don't actually believe it was as simple as giving an order, even if it came from Honorius (who wasn't the strongest ruler the romans had). In some cases, such as Valens prior to marching on Adrianople, considerable persuasion was necessary to get roman soldiers to agree to go on campaign.

Just a comment, but if Honorius had really wanted to, he could have martialled the western armies and saved the empire. Things were still not beyond the point of no return then.

very true... i think he was more interested in hes pet chickens then the empire.

For all we know, Honorius seems to have been a terrible ruler; however, as usual, we are probably giving too much credit to the personal abilities (or the lack of them) of any Roman Emperor.

The Roman Empire (both included) has been by then a centuries-long mature administrative and bureaucratic unit that has survived from many huge threats, notoriously the III century military chaos; its government tended to thrive even under nasty rulers.

After all, Arcadius in Constantinople seems to have not been a far better ruler than his brother.

The complex processes that eventually determined the Fall of the Western Empire were presumably quite advanced by the early V century.

As Mr. Ward-Perkins suggested, there was probably no absolute point of no return until the Arab conquest of Syria and Egypt by Umar in the VII century, when the Roman Empire was definitively deprived from the economic input required for massive military movements.

Edited by sylla

A terrible ruler? I don't really see him as that bad, it's just that he had a ton of problems to deal with and didn't have the same influence over his legions that Stilicho did.

A terrible ruler? I don't really see him as that bad, it's just that he had a ton of problems to deal with and didn't have the same influence over his legions that Stilicho did.

He did however have Stilicho murdered, and antagonise Alaric, who could've become a new Stilicho. We all know what followed. To what extent his hand was forced, and the emperor by that time rubber - stamped the decisions of the courtiers and administrators, is hard to say.

He did however have Stilicho murdered, and antagonise Alaric, who could've become a new Stilicho. We all know what followed. To what extent his hand was forced, and the emperor by that time rubber - stamped the decisions of the courtiers and administrators, is hard to say.

This seems to be a fair veredict on this unfortunate ruler from RW Mathisen:

"As for the feckless and timid Honorius, he generally took little part in public affairs. He was generally passive in nature, except when he was motivated to act by fear. He left military operations to his generals, but he did become involved in a controversy over the choice of a bishop of Rome in 418... He left no issue, which resulted in the proclamation of Johannes, the Chief Secretary, after his death. Not until 425 did his nephew Valentinian III... restore the legitimate dynasty. Even though the unity of the western empire was shakily maintained during Honorius' reign ... he left a legacy of fragmentation and feeble, lackluster leadership which eventually would result in the dissolution of the western empire."

Edited by sylla

Indeed its Zosimus. Here's an English copy online at Vortigern Studies. The passage is in chapter 10.

I would like to flag up the point that the authors of the Vortigen Studies have outlined several concerns which academics have about the common reading and consequently the interpretation of the 'Rescript of Honorius' as it relates to Britain.

Including elswhere on the site (http://www.vortigernstudies.org.uk/artsou/zosim.htm) stating the following:

"

Britain

Because he was so far removed in both time and space from Britain, he seems a poor witness for events that concern Britain in the late fourth and early fifth century. This is even more of a problem, because Zosimus is the main source for two major events in British history

Edited by Melvadius