UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Civil And Military Command Of The Late Empire

Ursus

During most of the Republic there had been no government as moderns would understand the term. There were no fully staffed departments or agencies whose existence continued independently of the political situation. Instead the Republican ideal had been to elect certain magistrates with various powers to carry out the token duties of the city-state government. The leading posts (Consuls and Praetors) combined military and civil responsibilities. If elections could not occur for whatever reason to bring these individuals to the helm, there was no government in any meaningful sense of the word....

You can read the full article here

Ursus, I commend you sir on your post. Your info is filling a much needed info gap on the Late Empire and I am greatly excited and pleased with the rise of interest and debate concerning the Late Empire period... keep up your info threads. B)B)

Congratulations, Ursus! And thanks. Some kid will plagerize your work and get an undeserved 'A' for your efforts.

If I am not in error, there seems to be a lot of overlapping of authority. This could have led to jealousy and confusion. I think that this was the case with Justinian and Theodora in the case of a general and a castrated man, who was also a general during the reconquest of Italy and North Africa. I forget the details.

Oh!, thanks for giving me the opportunity to become a milites. I really was getting tired of being a slave. Who manumitted me? Do I have to wear a special cap?

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Well, I'm glad you liked it. The late empire was never my forte, but lately I'm been exploring new ground. I'm intrigued by new possibilities. And maybe I'm just getting tired of Late Republic bru-ha-has. Cheers.

I personally find the late Roman period fascinating. I could recommend to you a whole slew of books, if you would like.

Readings in Late Antiquity by Michael Maas is a great book of first had sources from the time of Diocletian to Heraclius. Though it doesn't all deal with Rome, probable two-thirds of it does in some way.

From Rome to Byzantium by Michael Grant is a great book about the transitions in the late empire.

Diocletian and the Roman Recovery by Stephen Williams is a good book focusing on the reign of Diocletian, but tells about the whole situation of the late empire.

The Emperor Constantine by Hans A. Pohlsander is a small but good book about Constantine and his times.

The Last Pagan by Adrain Murdoch is a new, lively book about Julian the Apostate.

Justinian: The Last Roman Emperor by G.P. Baker is a good book about the life and times of Justinian.

First Crusader: Byzantium's Holy Wars by Goeffrey Regan is a good book about the holy wars of the Roman/Byzantine Empire up to the times of the First Crusade.

1453 by Roger Crowley is an excellent recent book about the fall of Constantinople to the Ottoman Turks.

I list these and several others in the Book Recommendation thread.

• 2 weeks later...