UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What Would The Romans Think?

Sorry If this has been brought up before. What is your personal opinion on what the Romans would think of the US? The reason why I ask is because I have read and heard that alot of people are calling us Americans the new Romans. What do you guys think of that also? One last question. Do you think in some way the Romans would feel at home in Washington D.C. because of all the buildings there that are modeled after the Roman and Greek style? Thanks for your opinions.

Ave Lucius, etc.:

The Senate would be right at home. They would line up with U.S. Congressmen at the lobbyists for the goodies. Politics would be just the same. That never changes. They would have to learn English. Check that, so would most citizens of the U.S. They would recognize well built and shoddy buildings. The engineering and medicine would impress. Electricity would surely give them a shock. I am sure they would like to get their hands on the military. Perhaps they might - just might - use it more effectively. A subura would also make them feel at home. Love the new chariots.

The U.S. 'empire' is capitalist (money) based; theirs was territorially based. They would learn. And we all can dream.

According to Michael Mandelbaum in his interview on the Daily Show, one major difference between the US and empires of the past is that empires like those of the Romans want to rule the world, in many aspects (government, economy, religion, etc.). On the other hand, America only 'sets the stage' and/or invests for and in most country's governments.

He also said that America (probably most of it) would love to get Iraq out of its hands, unlike most empires.

Maybe the United States and the Roman Empire should get together to discuss one thing their rulers (Bush & Hadrian) could never do: pacify Iraq/Mesopotamia for a long period of time.

According to Michael Mandelbaum in his interview on the Daily Show, one major difference between the US and empires of the past is that empires like those of the Romans want to rule the world, in many aspects (government, economy, religion, etc.).

I will get howled down for this, but "regime change" seems a distinctly Roman policy ala Armenia. Client kingdoms, friend and ally status......