UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Jamnia

frankq

Anyone know anything about the actual political status of Jamnia?

Some background on the place first. It was a city near the Judean coast, primarily Jewish, and bequeathed to King Herod's sister Salome upon his death. Upon her death she gave it to Empress Livia. Now Herod Agrippa was arrested here and here's where things get fuzzy. The Jewish prince was escaping debts in Rome, and, according to Josephus, the procurator of Jamnia had him arrested. Note again: procurator of Jamnia. All of Judea was incorporated as a province by this time. I have found no map showing it had a separate status.

Anyone know anything about this?

PS And yes, it was the city where the Jews trashed an emperor's statue and Caligula got pissed.

Edited by frankq

• 1 month later...
Anyone know anything about the actual political status of Jamnia?

Some background on the place first. It was a city near the Judean coast, primarily Jewish, and bequeathed to King Herod's sister Salome upon his death. Upon her death she gave it to Empress Livia. Now Herod Agrippa was arrested here and here's where things get fuzzy. The Jewish prince was escaping debts in Rome, and, according to Josephus, the procurator of Jamnia had him arrested. Note again: procurator of Jamnia. All of Judea was incorporated as a province by this time. I have found no map showing it had a separate status.

Anyone know anything about this?

PS And yes, it was the city where the Jews trashed an emperor's statue and Caligula got pissed.

It's time to answer my own question again. Jamnia, as part of a royal estate, and a coastal city with duties, had its own financial agent. Josephus just misused the term ''procurator''.

Anyone knw more about these ''financial agents''? Were they actually entitled ''procurators?''

It's time to answer my own question again. Jamnia, as part of a royal estate, and a coastal city with duties, had its own financial agent. Josephus just misused the term ''procurator''.

Anyone knw more about these ''financial agents''? Were they actually entitled ''procurators?''

I don't think Josephus made a mistake here. Procurator (unfortunately) was a position that carried many varying functions. A nice overview from Livius.org

I don't think Josephus made a mistake here. Procurator (unfortunately) was a position that carried many varying functions. A nice overview from Livius.org

Ah! Thanks!

How'd I miss it? I know his site well.