UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Legatus Augusti Iuridicus

Ursus

From what I could gather from online. The legati iuridicus, as an aid to the governor, were usually appointed in provinces that demanded or is under the direct supervision of the emperor himself personally.

I for sure know that Britannia wasn't the only place with the legati iuridicus, I believe Tarraconensis had them too.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

From what I could gather from online. The legati iuridicus, as an aid to the governor, were usually appointed in provinces that demanded or is under the direct supervision of the emperor himself personally.

I for sure know that Britannia wasn't the only place with the legati iuridicus, I believe Tarraconensis had them too.

That's in Palestine, Judea area no? Perhaps they were only appointed in provinces that were in very troublesome areas or had a history of discontent where military action was required.

I can't find any evidence for it outside of Britain, and even there it was said to be an "episodic" appointment.

I think it's an interesting position ... but one that became obsolete when Britain was divded into further provinces.

A "judicial legate" was appointed by the Flavians onward to spearhead legal matters in Britain, freeing the governor there for military affairs.

Was this institution peculiar to Britain, or did other provinces have them?

This is interesting. Ursus can you give me some specific dates around about this position would be operating in Britannia?